Despite not feeling well, she went to work in her office on the 87th floor of the World Trade Centers North Tower. Much to his astonishment, the staff there recognized Joanne and united Penman and her around three years ago. By accepting all cookies, you agree to our use of cookies to deliver and maintain our services and site, improve the quality of Reddit, personalize Reddit content and advertising, and measure the effectiveness of advertising. Cookie Notice As reported by DailyMail, Joanne shared, "Phil and I stayed in touch all of these years. 17 years on, as the world moves on, partly reminiscing, partly shaking the head, caught up in an amnesia of thoughts as to how on earth did such a tragedy strike America, there are some lives that have moved on. At this point, Capestro said she had 'no clue' as to the extent of the disaster. Recently, news came in that Joanne Capestro married, exactly 17 years after the horrific events witnessed in 2001. The couple tied the knot in a beach wedding, and shared photos of the nuptials on Instagram. Woman in 9/11 image is photographed by same man 17 years later Receive our Weekly Newsletter. In a heart-touching note that might give some friendship goals, Joanne even mentioned the importance of her friendship with Phil: He was present with me on the best day of my life and also on the worst day of my life. Phil Penman captured a photo of Joanne Capestro with her friend as they fled the rubbish of terrorist attacks Sept. 11, 2001. ga('ads.send', { Probably, there cannot be a better way to think of friendship from the perspective of the (time of) trials and tribulations that it manages to leapfrog. Capestro pictured on her wedding day. "My girlfriend yells, 'Joey, Joey,' and I turned around and I saw her and I was like, 'Oh my God, what are we going to do now?'". Commemorative golf balls from the delayed September 2001 Ryder Cup golf tournament help demonstrate how the world stood still after the attacks. She shared that it was only until they reached the 64th floor that other people began to use the stairwell to escape. We didnt get to exit off the 87th floor until the second plane went into the other building, she recalled. Documentary Review: Memory Box: Echoes of 9/11 - The Reviews Hub Phone Number: (347) 497-**** Joanne Anne Capestro, age 60, Brooklyn, NY Background Check Locations: Brooklyn NY Possible Relatives: Christina Capestro, Debra Capestro Sponsored by BeenVerified Now here we are today and six weeks ago, on August 11, he was the photographer at my wedding. "I feel like I'm giving back. On 9/11 she ran down 84 floors in the North Tower to safety, defeating all odds as others died around her. Joanne Edge is on Facebook. A place for pictures and photographs. "I really felt so different from that moment on and it took me many years to heal," Capestro said. I'm a true New Yorker.'. Because God saved me that day. eventCategory: event.slot.getSlotElementId(), At some point while trying to escape from the horrific scene, Capestro was unknowingly captured in a photo with one of her co-workers covered in dust and debris by Penman. But now, 20 years on, Capestro said the horrific experience has given her 'courage and resilience to put my best foot forward every day' and 'wake up with a genuine smile on my face.'. It's a bond that can't be broken," she added. Capestro said it has taken time for her to deal with the trauma of her escape from the 87th floor, running out of the tower to see 'all the jumpers, the blood all over, the dead people' before the South Tower then crashed down around her, New Yorkers stare up at the Twin Towers from the corner of West Broadway and Canal Street on 9/11 after two hijacked planes flew into the World Trade Center in New York City, 'I woke up andthought I was in heaven,' she said. Then we proceeded to go down the steps and I have to be honest with you, there was nobody coming from upstairs to go. eventAction: 'view' Facebook gives people the power. hitType: 'event', We had no clue what was going on.'. "What am I going to do with these boots? A close friendship blossomed after their first meeting. Its beautiful to note the correspondence of the two. Capestro told how she has 'worked on myself', read a lot of self-help books and met with a lot of other survivors over the years. "I didn't think that this would be anything they would want," said JoAnne "JoJo" Capestro, the finance worker who gave her clothing. When I woke up in the morning, I didnt feel well, but I still went to work [] And I was standing at my desk with one of my co-workers, because we were going to go downstairs. She explained those who could escape were running for their lives. Penman agreed with Capestro on the bond and friendship that developed between them. Is National Geographic Still Perpetuating Racist Stereotypes? On September 11, 2001, Capestro was working as an assistant secretary on the 87th floor of the North Tower when the hijacked American Airlines Flight 11 crashed into it. "); "All of a sudden, you just start seeing like, the emergence of people kind of walking towards you," Penman said. May Davis Group employee Joanne "JoJo" Capestro began her evacuation on the 87th floor of the North Tower after experiencing what felt like an earthquake and smelling jet fuel. pg.acq.push(function() { She made it out within 22 minutes and the tower collapsed just moments later. Three years ago she and Penman met for the first time and stayed in contact; he volunteered to take photographs for Capestro's wedding day on August 11, 2018 She told DailyMail.com: 'Phil was. Joanne Vasquez (Joanne Hennessey) See Photos. eventCategory: event.slot.getSlotElementId(), Others have added to the wallets, helmets, and other personal effects in a collection that looks at the terrorist attacks through the lens of individual lives. All rights reserved. eventAction: 'load' After seeing the new National September 11 Memorial Museum, one victim's widow decided to donate one of her husband's FDNY paramedic shirts, karate uniforms and beloved baseball jersey. I thought that everybody must have left already from above because I thought it was going to be crowded when they didnt have a chance to make it out," she recalled. 9/11 - JoAnne's Contribution to the National September 11 - Crystalinks 'He was with me for one of the best days of my life,' she said. "After many years, I decided, 'I want to get married.' And as she walked away from the dust-covered blocks surrounding Ground Zero, Penman noticed her and captured his now-famous photo. On Sept. 11, 2001, Joanne "JoJo" Capestro arrived to her job as an executive assistant at the May Davis Group on the 87th floor of the North Tower with a cup of take-out tea, feeling run down from a case of bronchitis. Six weeks ago, Penman became the photographer at Joanne's wedding. Capestro even credits the photographer for helping her heal in the traumatic aftermath of 9/11. Dark smoke pours from the North Tower while St. Paul's chapel stands in the foreground. On 9/11 she ran down 84 floors in the North Tower to safety, defeating all odds as others died around her. hitType: 'event', Capestro put it best when she said: Phil was with me on the best day of my life and the worst day of my life.. "I'm looking up at the tower and I'm taking these pictures," Penman said. Now, 17 years later, the same photographer Phil Penman shot her wedding images six weeks ago. ga('ads.send', { eventCategory: event.slot.getSlotElementId(), 'I saw all the jumpers, the blood all over, the dead people - and I passed out.'. And since then, the duo has remained in touch close enough that Capestro asked Penman to photograph her wedding. MSNBC and Peacock are part of our parent company, NBCUniversal. The consoler in chief: Rare and candid collection of images September 11 attacks: How 9/11 will be remembered around the Isabel Oakeshott receives 'menacing' message from Matt Hancock, Insane moment river of rocks falls onto Malibu Canyon in CA, Ken Bruce finishes his 30-year tenure as host of BBC Radio 2, Pavement where disabled woman gestured at cyclist before fatal crash, Pro-Ukrainian drone lands on Russian spy planes exposing location, 'Buster is next!' He always has an open ear for me and I do for him as he was also part of the attack. He didn't pick up but he checked the message anyway. 16 years later. 9. And on the best day of my life.". The fateful day has since been known as the worst domestic attack America has ever experienced. Murdaugh is heckled as he leaves court, Mom who lost both sons to fentanyl blasts laughing Biden, Moment teenager crashes into back of lorry after 100mph police race, Family of a 10-month-old baby filmed vaping open up, Hershey's Canada releases HER for SHE bars featuring a trans activist, Ukrainian soldier takes out five tanks with Javelin missiles, Do not sell or share my personal information. was photographed that day covered head to toe in thick dust and debris as she fled from the World Trade Center with a coworker. He eventually donated his picture of Joanne tothe National September 11 Memorial & Museum. "Our heartfelt thanks to our friends at Oppenheimer & Co. Inc., especially Mr. Lowenthal, Mr. Stoltzfus, Mr. Whaley, and JoAnne Capestro, for their kind hospitality." This event was part of the College's year-long 150th anniversary celebration. Now. 'After 20 years I really feel really good about where I am in my life and how I've come a long way mentally,' she said. 9/11's Iconic Photos, 20 Years Later | SGT Report document.querySelector("#adunit").addEventListener('click',function(){ let gads_event; Pictured above are people covered in dust and debris fleeing the horrific scene in lower Manhattan in an image captured by Penman, Lavrov claims Russia 'trying to stop' war 'launched by Ukraine', British man arrested in Colombia with 23 kilos of cocaine in suitcase, Russian troops pound access routes to Ukraine's besieged Bakhmut, Oakeshott: 'I am not getting into a slanging match with Matt Hancock', Ukrainian city of Bakhmut 'practically encircled', says Wagner Chief, Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu visits Russian soldiers in Ukraine, Missing hiker buried under snow forces arm out to wave to helicopter, Judge makes damning comments before sentencing Murdaugh for life, California moves closer to paying reparations to black people, Police makes statement after shooting Utah law student dead, Stephen Bear poses for selfies as he arrives at court for sentencing, Mark Gordon arrives at Crawley Police Station after remains found. The impact was so strong and the building was shaking until all of a sudden it stopped.. Photographer who captured iconic image of woman on 9/11 returns to shoot her wedding. That was a regular day for me, when I woke up in the morning I didnt feel well, but I still went to work, Capestro said. Years later, as both Penman and Capestro were donating their work and belongings related to the terror attacks to the 9/11 museum, the two decided to meet. Once outside Joanne ran and ran and ran then hid under a car as things collapsed around her, the wounded and dead all around, including co-workers. 196 Likes, 2 Comments - Kimberly Chrisman-Campbel (@wornonthisday) on Instagram: "Shoes worn #onthisday in 2001 by Joanne "Jojo" Capestro (left in Phil Penman's iconic photo) when" While there, he captured a scene that has since become an iconic image from the harrowing day. 'Very open to the idea': Julia Wandelt takes DNA test to verify if she is missing Swiss girl Livia Schepp, Kayla Lemieux: Teacher with prosthetic Z-cup breasts suspended WITH PAY after pics show her dressed as man, 'We have lots to reveal': Madeleine McCann lookalike Julia Wandelt posts footage of meeting with PI probing claims, Lindsay Clancy case: Psychologist reveals psychosis red flags family members could have spotted, Horror at Larchwood Care! "When we met, he came into my office and just looked at me and I look at him and just started crying," Capestro told the Daily Mirror. Capestro said she didn't know the photo of her existed until Penman donated it for display inside the National September 11 Memorial & Museum and a staff member recognized her in the image and put them in touch. Capestro and her colleagues fled the building using the stairs. Phil was with me on the best day of my life, she said, and the worst day of my life., 10 Street Photographers Who Are Immortalizing Our Modern World, Interview: Dynamic Street Shots Document the Quirky Everyday Scenes of New York City, Street Photographer Captures Candid Photos of New York From 1969 to 2006. She began her descent with several colleagues and reached the street level just as the South Tower collapsed. Meet the eyewitnesses who share their stories in 'Memory Box: Echoes of But the phone rang and he answered, then the plane hit five or six floors above us," Joanne recalled. Dark flames and thick smoke pour from the Twin Towers after they were both hit by hijacked planes on 9/11. But the situation worsened once she got out of the north tower. And then it restarted.". "For me, looking over the images over the last 20 years, it's kind of helped me deal with it more," Penman reflected. var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-7775239-1"); Quotes displayed in real-time or delayed by at least 15 minutes. Smoke pours out of the North and South Tower of the World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan after they were struck by two hijacked airplanes, First responders and New Yorkers help and administer first aid to survivors of the terrorist attacks on America's darkest day, Mangled steel, dust and rubble litter the streets of the city after the Twin Towers were targeted in a terrorist attack. It just went to voicemail," Penman told TODAY. Woman in 9/11 dust-covered photo has same photographer at wedding 17 She and Penman instantly became close friends and she donated her own belongings from that day to the museum (the heels she was wearing are on display). But the phone rang and he answered, then the plane hit five or six floors above us. Instagram . Sorry, this post was deleted by the person who originally posted it. Penman spent the day taking pictures of survivors as well as pictures of rescue workers and civilians helping all those who were affected. ', Now, 20 years on, Capestro said the horrific experience has given her 'courage and resilience to put my best foot forward every day' and 'wake up with a genuine smile on my face', For Capestro, the memorial at Ground Zero is now a positive place which she goes to spend time in around six times a year. Jesper arrived in style! Capestro had no idea that Penman had captured the moment, and the two only met after his work was displayed in the National September 11 Memorial & Museum. (Phil Penman). The horrific 9/11 attacks left an estimated 2,996 people dead and more than 6,000 others injured. 'Then I heard dentist music on one floor - like that soft, calming music. Read more 9/11 Museum Collection Grows: Survivors and victims' families donate their cherished mementos Epoch Times - September 10, 2014, Today Joanne is quoted in an AP article about donating personal items to the National September 11 Memorial Museum. She is now happily married with nine grandchildren, still lives in her native New York and still works on Wall Street after 40 years, Capestro with husband Robert Vasquez on their wedding day in 2018 (left). She was able to locate theonly available staircase exit and rushed down 87 flights of stairs while in high heels. They proceeded to rush to a third stairwell exit which was completely empty. Thats how it all started and we stayed in touch for all of these years. Since they reconnected, Capestro and Penman have kept in touch, talking on the phone and meeting up often. eventAction: 'click_adunit' Images used with permission of Phil Penman. I contemplated if I should go into the office or not. Capestro said she took refuge inside a car, where she fainted again from the trauma. Two of the three exits to the office were melted shut from the heat of the fire above, she said. Fast forward 17 years, and Capestro recently had Penman photograph her again this time for her wedding. Woman seen in iconic 9/11 photo gets the same photographer to - MEAWW In the gripping image, Capestro looks completely shell-shocked while staring into the direction of the camera lens while walking barefoot and holding her heels and purse in one hand. Facebook gives people the power to share and makes the world more open and connected. window.googletag.pubads().addEventListener('impressionViewable', function(event) { Penman is a Leica photographer and Leica Fotografie International winner whos based in New York City. When Capestro married her fianc Robert Vasquez on August 11, she asked Penman to be her photographer. For more information, please see our Six weeks ago, Penman became the photographer at Joanne's wedding. ', Capestro said she hopes people will remember how the city and the nation was in the days after 9/11 when people came together to help each other in their darkest hours, Survivors are seen arm in arm and covered head to toe in dust and rubble as they help each other escape from Ground Zero, Plumes of debris and dust billows into the air as the South Tower collapses on the morning of September 11 2001. Capestro is pictured in 2021 near the new World Trade Center complex. What a strong and beautiful woman. Joanne Capestro Facebook, Instagram & Twitter on PeekYou 'I've lived my whole life in New York, my parents came from Little Italy and I didn't want to run away,' she said. "When we met, he came into my office and just looked at me and I looked at him and just started crying," Capestro shared referring to the first moment that they met. Something worth remembering for a lifetime , Man Orders $3,000 Sony Camera, Receives Bags of Mysterious White Powder Instead, Sony Announces the Xperia 1 Mark II: A Powerful Smartphone With Technology Taken From Its Best Cameras, Continuing the Legacy of the U.S. President's Photographer, Homeland Security Warns of Photography as a Potential Sign of Terrorism. Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group. 11M views, 131K likes, 61K loves, 4.5K comments, 58K shares, Facebook Watch Videos from HISTORY: On Sept. 11, 2001, Joanne Capestro arrived to her job at the May Davis Group on the 87th floor of the. The impact was so strong and the building was shaking until all of a sudden it stopped.. Woman in famous 9/11 picture employs same photographer for her wedding Phil was with me on the best day of my life and the worst day of my life". They rushed to a third stairwell that was completely empty at the moment. Joanne Capestro runs barefoot with a colleague from the World Trade Center's North Tower, moments before it collapsed on 9/11. History Channel highlights the story of Joanne Capestro, a survivor of the September 11 attack on the World Trade Center, who managed to escape a collapsing tower and walk all the way home with her high heels in tact. We are one of the worlds fastest growing They're just sitting here, and they depress me to look at," the now-retired detective asked herself. Yi-Jin Yu is an editor and reporter for TODAY Digital and leads digital coverage for Weekend TODAY on Saturday mornings. "When we're gone, it needs to be somewhere where it can be seen, where it will be safe," Fajardo said. And I was standing at my desk with one of my co-workers because we were going to go downstairs. You have to put your best foot forward every day, because you can't let terrorism get to you.'. Speaking of her memories of September 11, 2001, Capestro recalls: That was a regular day for me. window.adsContainer = {"position2":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Above_Next_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position3":{"code":"Article_Mobile_300x250_ATF_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position4":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position5":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle1_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position6":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle2_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position7":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle3_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position8":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle4_Rel","max_width":300,"max_height":250},"position9":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle5_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position10":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle6_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position11":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle7_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position12":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle8_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position13":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle9_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position14":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle10_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position15":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle11_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250},"position16":{"code":"Article_Mobile_Middle12_Rel","max_width":320,"max_height":250}} Seventeen years later, Capestro had Penman photograph her wedding. 2023 FOX News Network, LLC. Phone Number: (917) 952-**** Joanne A Capestro, age 60 View Full Report Address:***** 4th Ave, Apt 6k, Brooklyn, NY. Part of the Daily Mail, The Mail on Sunday & Metro Media Group. Shortly afterward, Penman, then 24, received a phone call. What would happen immediately, in the aftermath of the North Tower falling into dust, would be the emergence of an image of a tall, mid-aged woman, feeling lucky- as expected- at having escaped the incident, walking barefoot alongside her coworker, covered completely in dust and rubble. 'It makes me feel good when I go down there. Videos of the Museum. After the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center on September 11th, 2001, a dust-covered Joanne Capestro was photographed by street photographer Phil Penman as she stumbled away from Ground Zero. "The work carries a lot of weight. "Phil was with me on the best day of my life and the worst day of my life," Joanne Capestro told the Daily Mirror. "Phone rings, I'm like, there's no way I'm working again today. "I tell him all the time, 'I love you, Phil, you know, you gave me my life back.' Some new donors to the Sept. 11 museum hadn't realized everyday possessions could be museum exhibits. See Photos. THEN AND VOW - PressReader Joanne Sarli Vasquez (Sarli) See Photos. Some victims' relatives still bitterly oppose it as more tourist attraction than tribute. It was this moment that Penman captured the image of the two women - a look of shock and terror on their faces. 'Every floor was different - some were on fire, some there were people bleeding, some there was glass on the floor,' she said. ga('ads.send', { 'I remember as a young girl we would go and look at the new buildings being built in the city. By Rachel Sharp For Dailymail.com and Jolie Novak For Dailymail.Com, Published: 12:23 GMT, 11 September 2021 | Updated: 03:02 GMT, 12 September 2021, A 9/11 survivor who was captured in a harrowing image after escaping the North Tower has spoken out to reveal the terror of that day and said she puts 'my best foot forward every day now because we can't let terrorists win.'. pg.acq.push(function() { pageTracker._trackPageview(); Back then, she had no idea that it was renowned street photographer Penman that had captured her in the moment of crisis. The perfect tummy control bodysuit, a popcorn gadget, more bestsellers starting at $8. He was with me for the best day of my life and the worst day of my life.. Facebook. Another man photographed her and the picture went on to depict the catastrophe that was the 9/11 tragedy in its full fury. Joanne Capestro told DailyMail.com in an exclusive interview that she 'saw my life flash in front of me three times' in the 102 minutes on September 11 2001 between the moment the first hijacked plane struck a few floors above her office in the North Tower and when the two towers had collapsed. But I have to say when I turned the corner, I owe a lot of it to Phil Penman. She added that it was an amazing experience to have him present when she married the love of her life, Robert Vasquez. "You start reevaluating everything in life, what's important to you. window.googletag.cmd.push(function() { document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E")); Capestro, then 39, worked at the World Trade Center, on the 87th floor of the north tower. },false) Joanne Vasquez. But this meeting wasnt the last time that the photographer and Capestro would see each other. 'I saw my life in front of me three times that day. And in coming full circle, on August 11th of this year,. Zebediah Smith Dr. Robert Lahita, New York City Dr. Robert Lahita traveled to Ground Zero with two paramedics. And I was standing at my desk with one of my co-workers because we were going to go downstairs. Phil Penman's iconic 9/11 photo of Joanne Capestro. Once there, he started capturing what was unfolding. }) Joanne revealed that she did not remember Penman from the scene and did not know that he took the photo until three years ago when they were connected by the National September 11 Memorial & Museum. Neil Matthew Dollard's relatives talked for years about donating the few possessions authorities found after the bond broker died at the trade center. ', Capestro also spoke of her gratitude for her 'great husband. to mark the 20th anniversary of the attacks. Woman Pictured in Iconic 9/11 Photo Hires Same Photographer for Wedding (Phil Penman). 'There is a bond among survivors - we're like brothers and sisters and we'll get through it together and always be around for each other.'. "Not many people went through what we went through and survived. The Daily Mirror reports that Capestro and Penman were reunited three years ago after the photographers 9/11 photos were shown at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum. "That's how it all started and we stayed in touch for all of these years. Within 22 minutes, Capestro made it a few steps out of the North Tower when it began collapsing and she started running and screaming God help me. Market data provided by Factset. And in that regard, it may not be incorrect to say, theyve moved on from the wake of the 9/11 tragedy quite well. Seventeen years on, the man who took that picture on the worst day of her . On a sunny September morning in New York City 20 years ago, Phil Penman was getting ready to relax. The comments below have been moderated in advance. TikTok Introduces 60-Minute Daily Time Limit, Havana Syndrome: The Mysterious Illness Afflicting Diplomats and Intelligence Officers. Joanne Capestro is my neighbor and friend. It was after this that Penman snapped the portrait of Capestro barefoot and coated in toxic dust. She explained that she didnt recall Penman at the scene and didnt know he took that photo of her until three years ago when she was connected with the photographer by staff members at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum. She felt ill but still decided to go to into work from her home in Brooklyn. Legal Statement. Capestro and her colleagues made it out of the building within 22 minutes, in part, by walking down through the one usable stairwell. Join Facebook to connect with Joanne Vasquez and others you may know. 9/11 survivor captured in harrowing image after escaping the North You know, we had to make face masks. ga('create', 'UA-67136960-15', 'auto', 'ads'); 'I'm so proud of myself as, 20 years ago, you wouldn't believe you're talking to the same strong woman here now. How a 9/11 photo brought two people together - NBC For Capestro,the memorial at Ground Zero is now a positive place which she goes to spend time in around five or six times a year. hitType: 'event', JoAnne Capestro Email & Phone Number - Oppenhei.. | ZoomInfo Capestro explained that September 11, 2001 began like any other day for her. ET and will be available to stream exclusively on Peacock.