A nifty-looking, dual-inlet air cleaner wrapped in a black crackle finish was part of the package. Feb 2016: We are currently only rebuilding Triumph TR3B (four synchro) through TR6 transmissions and A and J type . Once you have finished the plastigauge procedure, and cleaned it all up, make sure to use assembly lube on your rod bearings and install your rod caps. Pat Garity. The idea is to remove all the accumulated junk, especially from critical areas like the float bowl and jets. This engine is almost a direct bolt-in. Spitfire - Spitfire backfire, timing or carb? | British Car Forum You may have seen them at county fairs the vertical velodromes were originally built from old grain silos, leading to the name "silo-drome.". The carb is a two stage design, so it's essentially a one barrel with a secondary that comes on at full throttle. Before the swapand with the original single-carb unit properly tunedour Spitfire produced 49 horsepower and 66 lb.-ft. of torque at the rear wheels, as measured on a chassis dyno. Performance & security by Cloudflare. Click to reveal Triumph - Spitfire - Sales Brochure - (2015) (German) Brochure 4 Pages. Come on fellas, Mike can't be the only one to reply??? I have 185/60 13 tires which are a little lower so I put TR7 gears in the diff. Triumph Spitfire - Engine rebuild - YouTube AnglefireSeptember 30, 2017 in Engine. ], Story by Tim SuddardPhotography asCredited. For example, most modern black composite material head gaskets require no coating or sealer. It was beautifully designed by the legendary Italian car designer Giovanni Michelotti, and it also surprisingly sold in greater numbers than any of its rivals between 1962 to 1980. British Engine Rebuilder 217-232-7303 Specializing in MG/Triumph 1500 Engines " I will not let you run one of my rebuilt engines in your car if I would not run it in mine. Make sure your crankshaft is at BDC (bottom dead center) meaning the crankshaft journal is closest to bottom of the engine. Follow the advice of the head gasket manufacturer in regards to coating. Water pump Austin Healey, MG or Triumph we can build it better than original and to any performance level. An adjustable cam gear is really worth it if your budget allows. Shifts well, stops well. 142.132.219.252 And as my current engine seems to be doing about 28mpg, I'd hate to think what a low efficiency engine is like, i cant find any data readily availablethat explains the last suffix 'E'. What Engines Will Fit a Triumph Spitfire? | It Still Runs Bottom end The Triumph SC (small car) engines were never derived fromtractors. To truly rebuild SU carbs, you must send them to an expert; replacing those throttle shaft bushings requires specialized equipment. (To replace my old engine, which had suffered catastrophic failure). To save money and meet the ever-stricterU.S.emissions standards, American-market versions of this 1500 were fed by just one carb, not the dualSUsetup found onearlierSpitfires. And real-world performance? Check for oil pressure before cranking. I always use bearings supplied by Jigsaw Racing, and with the above, they are long lasting, even inhigh revving engines. Oil pump whether you replace with new or reuse your current oil pump you will need to disassemble it and check the clearances. It has transformed the Midget into a nice little cruiser. THE FINAL LAP Valve seals Rebuilding A Triumph Spitfire Engine - Silodrome Both BC (B series engines) and Triumph (the Vanguard/TR wet liner engine) also used the engines in all sorts of different applications - main vans, boats and tractors, but they weren't designed for agricultural use in the first place. Crankshaft grinding is a very skilled part of the machine shop phase. The shop will most likely resurface the cylinder head to insure flatness, and provide for a good sealing surface for the head gasket. What makes a Wishbone Classics engine better? I'm just curious where this little motor might go if tuned and built properly. 10 watching. sorry real name is Mark - Ill update my signature when I get 5 ! I'm more than happy with 5000rpm - my currently daily is diesel so tends to live at less than 3000 - actually a lot less unless booting it (its a 3tr BMW so has lots of power and torque!). Triumph Spitfire Engine Rebuild #8 - Distributor Fitting - YouTube After a long hiatus in production, I'm back on my engine rebuild videos, though there aren't many left. Ray, July 19, 2015 @ 6:14 am If you build a 1500 properly and respect it then this much maligned engine can be as dependable as any other Spitfire engine. Rod bolts I recommend replacement. I used new bolts and tabs, but this was 1980s so bolts would be from the good bucket. Well we offer that as well. 2,000 rpm. Timing is set by ear - to be honest one reason for the rebuild/replacement is that the timing is all over the place when I use a timing light - which is either due to a crap dizzy or the pulley moving (Which is not as tight as I'd like - but the bolt is very much tight! Thanks for the article though it just reinforces my decision. CARMINE RED WITH TAN TRIM, TAN TOP BOOT. Shop Work Apply 30W motor oil to the cylinder walls and the piston skirts. The results were that the downdraft Weber gave essentially the same performance as HS4s. Bolting Dual DCOEs on a stock engine would would hurt driveability. 20 Buy the HD/LC or whatever they are called, a few a set more than, that shell looks pretty much like its hard ever run , ive seen much worst in brand new engines off production, Yes I know it was built from parts in the 50s and the design never changed. All in, you could easily complete this job for about $700 if you do the work yourself. Scott Sewell. Crankshaft bearings for the connecting rods and main bearings. I dont like refacing valves. He has a 2 liter OHC compared with the spit's little push rod 1500. For instance,the 2014 Renault F1 engine has a stroke of only 53mm but is limited to 15,000rpm! MG MIDGET (late model) TRIUMPH SPITFIRE 1500 MOTOR ENGINE REBUILD SERVICE Refurbished $2,695.00 timwhomi5 (2,345) 99.6% or Best Offer Freight 39 watchers Sponsored New Complete Engine Seal and Gasket Set Triumph Spitfire 1500 MG Midget 1500 (For: Triumph Spitfire) Brand New $59.94 sportscarpartsltd (55,071) 99.7% Buy It Now Free 3 day shipping Pointer this can be as simple as a piece of wire bolted to the front side of the block. Please comment on anything from main studs to cams to roller rockers to engine machining procedures, to compression ratios, to carbs, etc..Please post any good links on this topic as well. During break-in, check for leaks. All rights reserved. This was criticallyimportant asBrazilian automotive, This is a wire frame sculpture of the Ferrari F40 inarguably one of the Italian automakers most important and historically significant supercars. In our case, Quantum Mechanics sold us a brand-new downpipe to match the European exhaust manifold. A nifty-looking, dual-inlet air cleaner wrapped in a black crackle finish was part of the package. Do this one main cap at time working from front to back being careful to not rotate the crankshaft. ASSEMBLY Take your time and give your starter a break if it takes a while. Triumph Spitfire Parts & Spares - Moss Europe Crankshaft wear: the 1493cc engine fitted to the Spitfire 1500 has problems of its own, as the crankshaft can wear badly, along with the pistons and rings. Weight is mass times acceleration, andI've done this for a TR6, the worst possible case. It might be suitable for some situations but the Spitfire (MG Midget) configuration is not one of them. It takes a trained eye to do this procedure. I prefer tri-metal bearings; they are what the factory originally supplied for many cars. | If the gap is too big, have the cylinders bored and new oversize pistons fitted. I think Ford later made a knock-off of the carb that was used on 4 cylinder mustangs and later US made Mercury Capris (1980s). You can email the site owner to let them know you were blocked. TS Imported Automotive - British Car and Parts Sales Pandora, Ohio The MG Midget and Austin Healey Sprite High Performance Manual - Daniel Stapleton 2008 Covers all aspects of modifying the MG Midget and Austin Healey Sprite for high performance. Inferior steel in the crankshaft, narrow bearings and thrust washer inadequacy posed issues for the 1500 and on top of that the single carb is a negative, as your test showed A competitor in my race group used to refer to his 1500 as "Mr Floppy" (referencing the crank, which precluded using high rpm). I start with the #1 piston. MG Midget Triumph Spitfire Rebuilt 1500 Engine - eBay It set the record on 60% nitromethane, naturally aspirated. 4-SPEED, DISC WHEELS. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. Classic Triumph Restoration | Triumph Restoration Shop | Spitfire How have you set the timing?? Engine was previously rebuild by Ivor Searle, looks brand new under the rocker cover.. Ps, fuel tank is disconnected, now pumping fuel out of a fresh can. www.mossmotoring.com/disassembling-british-engine, Planning for Rebuilding the Engine on the Spitfire | Triumph Spitfire Mk3 Restoration Project: Bruce's Triumph Therapy, http://mossmotorsltd.wpengine.com/restoring-british-engine/. MACHINE SHOP WORK Each engine I take to the machine shop is: Magnafluxed for cracks in the block, head and crankshaft. If you can catch a fingernail on the surface of the flywheel where the clutch disc rides, you will need to resurface your flywheel. Spitfire - Triumph Club - Vintage Triumph Register Otherwise, enjoy the car, collect the stuff you need and don't put yourself under pressure! Over the past 8 years I ahve been upgrading my 1500. They look 10X better in the engine bay on a 1300 or a 1500 than a ZS or Weber and have been around forever. Cylinder Head Planning for Rebuilding the Engine on the Spitfire | Triumph Spitfire Mk3 Restoration Project: Bruce's Triumph Therapy, [] http://mossmotorsltd.wpengine.com/restoring-british-engine/ [], January 13, 2018 @ 5:01 pm There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data. Is a lighter flywheel right for your classic? Triumph Spitfire 1500 engine and gearbox rebuild We've just finished the rebuild of this fast road engine for a locally owned Triumph Spitfire. I replaced the original exhaust header with a Pacesetter which increased the pipe diameter to about 2"but have learned there are better ones available. The rule with engine building is clean, clean, and then clean some more. There is nothing inherently wrong with a properly designed 3 main bearing engine. If building a performance engine, ARP bolts may be ofbenefit, but they use their own special lube with a lower than factory torque!! Detractors complained of durability anddrivabilityissues. Degree wheel In addition there are no springs or weights to fool with. If your crankshaft is being reground and your connecting rods resized, this is time to use the size spec range to get the proper rod bearing clearance. He said he'd had problems with soft lock tabs on other engines messing uptorque readings. This is a six-cylinder engine, displacing 2 liters. That is not true but often repeated. What you are looking for is the point the dial indictor needle quits moving as the piston comes to the top of the block. 7500 19.00 21.88 1500 engine performance mods : Spitfire & GT6 Forum : The Triumph Includes engine/driveline, suspension, brakes, If you find excessive wear your machine shop can reface them. WHAT YOU CAN CLEAN YOURSELF Paddocks) sell. Measured engine output had improved nicely: We posted 65 horsepower and 78 lb.-ft. of torque during our next visit to the dyno. The downdraft sends the mixture down to a flat surface in the intake manifold where it splatters and pools rather than smoothly reaching the head. If the gap is too big you are going to have to shim the camshaft or remove material from the back side of the cam gear. But all the above are expensive and competition related. Both BMC (B series engines) and Triumph (the Vanguard/TR wet liner engine) also used the engines in all sorts of different applications - main vans, boats and tractors, but they weren't designed for agricultural use in the first place. The leaning and surging had vanished. Theyve even won countlessSCCAchampionships. Sold my spit last year and it was one ofthe few cars I never regretted selling. Maybe because its the one I raced back in the day, but it always just seemed better balanced than the 1500 for some reason. Trending price is based on prices over last 90 days. 100bhp should be achievable fairly easily. If your crankshaft is out of spec and has to be reground, there are several under-sizes of crankshaft bearings available. Chances are your cam timing is probably not where it needs to be. Paul Tegler's Triumph Spitfire 1500 Mega Site