2023 NYP Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved, Patient, new father among 5 killed in medical flight crash, Medical aircraft crash in Nevada leaves 5 dead: report, 5 dead in small plane crash in Little Rock, Human error eyed as cause of Yeti Airlines crash that killed 72 people. What happened from then, left a. The chilling footage of his final moments next shows Russell jumping onto the plane and presumably getting into the cockpit. Periodically, his voice cut into the dispatches. He had planned to seek a management position at Horizon Air or become a military officer after receiving his degree. "Guides" He and his wife Hannah started a bakery in Oregon in their early 20s, according to a 2012 story in a local paperthat depicted a happy, determined couple. The hardest part of stealing a commercial plane from an international airport was already over for Richard Russell. Rick Christenson, who was previously an operational supervisor with Horizon Air and who watched Russells flight over Puget Sound, described Russell to the Times as a quiet guy. It seemed like he was well-liked by the other workers, Christenson said. Or that he appeared to be a happy, regular guy. On Facebook, his favorite quotes were religious in nature, including, God IS Love and No Guilt in Life, No Fear in Death, this is the Power of Christ in Me, and a non religious line, This is America.. Below are some of the clips. He stated that he did not want to hurt anyone,[17][19] and in the final minutes of the communication apologized to his friends and family. Reviewed by Ekua Hagan. We consider ourselves bakery connoisseurs and have to try a new one every place we go. His website is filled with photos and videos of his travels and was previously linked to his Instagram account. Just kind of soaring around, he told air traffic control. Maybe that will grease the gears a little bit with the higher-ups, he said at another point. For Richard Russell. Sadly, he did not survive much longer at all. I will build you up again and you will be rebuilt. In the article, Russell described himself as laid back and easy going. This is a complete shock to us. He then flew around the area for about an hour, speaking at times with air traffic controllers and apologizing to loved ones for what he was about to do. Never really knew it, until now, Richard Russell said at one point. After listening many times to the recordings, I found his voice - alternately warm, scared, and funny - to . He was manic-depressive. A former coworker, Rick Christenson, told The Seattle Times: He was a quiet guy. He was always smiling.. in correct chronological orderthis took pIace over about 75 minutes. Our first date, he kind of cornered me into it, Hannah Russell said to the site. The plane was grounded for the night after returning from Victoria, B.C., which was its final scheduled flight of the day. After Russell performed an unauthorized takeoff, two McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle . Can Humans Detect Text by AI Chatbot GPT? Russell wrote that he was pursuing his Bachelor of Social Sciences and hoped to work his way up to a management position at Horizon Air or to join the military or law enforcement. At another point, he says he's going to try to "do a barrel roll." Disclaimer: I am in no way proficient in the arts.. Rich, you said you had 2100 pounds of fuel left? the controller responded. Russell, the sole occupant of the aircraft, perished in the crash. He had broken up with his girlfriend of 15 years and was having trouble finding steady work. RIP Rich. [40] He was a hard-hitting football fullback in high school, scoring six touchdowns in his senior year, after which he moved to North Dakota to join the football team at Valley City State University. Although investigators received information regarding Russell's background, possible stressors, and personal life, no element provided a clear motivation for Russell's actions. [9], On August 11th, 2018, journalist Jimmy Tomson tweeted out a series of audio clips in which Russell can be heard talking to an air traffic controller (shown below).[3]. Yay air force . Who's Afraid of the Rorschach Inkblot Test? The incident led to a dramatic and tragic night on August 10, 2018, as aircraft were grounded at Sea-Tac while fighter jets followed the man and air traffic controllers tried unsuccessfully to help him land the aircraft. Beck said the aerial maneuvers were "incredible" and that he "did not know how [Russell] achieved the experience that he did. Published Full video form John Waldron on Facebook being shown on CNN #seatac pic.twitter.com/R98bl5uQBr. Videos of the plane being followed by two F-15 fighter jets started going viral online as the story broke. In this season of life we enjoy exploring as much as possible, whether its a day (or so) trip to one of Alaska Airlines destinations, or visiting a new area of Washington. Richard Russell was a suicidal airport ground services worker who stole an airplane from Sea-Tac International Airport. He somehow managed to execute a barrel roll and a few other aerobatic maneuvers before crashing the aircraft onto a sparsely populated island, killing only himself. Who Is The 'Sky King' Richard Russell And How Did He Earn His Title? Russells social media accounts have become funeral guestbooks, digitized for the world. [39] He attended Wasilla High School, where he wrestled and competed in track and field. Russell, who was a ground service employee for Horizon Air and did not have a pilots license, took the twin-engine turboprop plane from a maintenance area where it was parked at the airport. Stay tuned., Another indicated, Seatac airspace closed. HiIm a ground service agent. Posted Sep 24, 2018. On that day, Twitter[11] user @CityKing_Gank_ posted a clip of Patterson flying the plane over his town, garnering over 17,000 likes and 4,000 retweets in six days (shown below). Plane is a Q4. Russell told controllers midflight that he played video games in preparation, but it was not clear whether he meant flight simulators some of which are commercially available and depict exhaustive and realistic measures to start an aircraft. We believe there are no passengers on board. Speculation has swirled over Russells intent. On August 10, 2018, a Horizon Air Bombardier Q400 was stolen from SeattleTacoma International Airport (SeaTac) in Seattle, Washington. After attempting the aircraft took off, two F-15 fighter jets were deployed. "[22], The two F-15s attempted to direct the aircraft toward the Pacific Ocean, and did not fire at it. No one else is thought to have been injured or killed, and the fighter jets did not fire on him, authorities said. The individual did use a pushback tractor to rotate the aircraft 180 degrees so he could then taxi the aircraft, Pohl said at the news conference Saturday. On 4chan,[7][8] threads dedicated to Russell were submitted over the next several days, many of which contained photoshops, image macros and fan arts praising the incident and referring to Russell as "Sky King" (shown below). He was a faithful husband, a loving son, and a good friend. Richard Russell, a ground control agent, died after he stole the plane at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport in August 2018 and drove it into the ground of a remote island in the Puget Sound . All further inquiries should be directed to the Seattle FBI office", "Alaska Airlines: Everything We Know About the Suicidal Hijacker", "Airplane taken from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport has crashed", "Authorities probe how 'suicidal' employee could steal plane from Seattle airport", "Man who sought 'serenity' before crashing stolen plane near Seattle is identified", "Human remains, black box found from plane stolen by Seattle airport employee", "FBI Completes Investigation into August 2018 Unauthorized Flight from Seattle-Tacoma Airport", "Horizon Air Worker Who Crashed Plane Bent on Suicide, Not Terror", "Seattle: stolen plane crashes after rogue take-off from Sea-Tac airport", "Man who took Horizon Air plane from Sea-Tac Airport was quiet, well liked, says former co-worker", "Richard Russell was a jokester who complained about work, but Sea-Tac plane heist still baffles friends", "Family of man who stole plane at Sea-Tac express 'shock,' others say 'Beebo' was friendly guy", "Authorities don't believe man who stole plane had a pilot's license", "Who was Richard Russell? He sounds just like anyone else would if they suddenly found themselves in a similar situation. I'm listening through the archive of the radio chatter on the #seatac hijacking. Well chalk it up to that. Once I earn my Bachelors in Social Sciences I will either seek a management position where Im at now, or possibly join the military as an officer. We've received your submission. Now a family is left to reckon with tragedy, while strangers find grim inspiration in his final act. Theyre not as easy to fly as, say, a Cessna 150, Beck said. You have reached your limit of 4 free articles. How I've Made $280k Selling Spreadsheets on Etsy. It may seem difficult for those watching at home to believe, but Beebo was a warm, compassionate man. I hope this prompts a nationwide discussion about mental healthcare overall. He could have envisioned an aerial joyride and return to the ground. Hannah and Beebo met at a Campus Crusade for Christ gathering at Southwestern Oregon Community College last year, the site reported. 1,012 words / 5:32 To listen in a player, click here. Richard Russell, AKA Rich or Beebo Russell, was named as the airport mechanic who stole a Horizon plane at Sea-Tac and crashed it. i cut the audio from a frequency hopper that caught some of what they said to each other. [18] He was active in his church and a leader in the local Christian youth ministry Young Life. U.S. Airlines Are Editing Their Websites to Remove Taiwan's Name at China's Request, What America's Richest Ski Town's Handling of COVID-19 Shows. This story has been shared 176,044 times. I don't want to. He was a quiet and well-liked young man who was active in his church. [41] They sold the bakery in 2015 so his wife could be closer to her family; they settled in Sumner, Washington, and Russell found employment with Horizon Air. At one point, Rich asked for help in getting the cabin depressurized, complaining he was getting lightheaded. I dont need that much help; Ive played some video games before, he told the controllers trying to help him. Would love your thoughts, please comment. Not entirely sure whats happening. According to suicide prevention expert, Dr. Christine Moutier, middle-aged White men account for 70% of deaths from suicide each year. Apparently someone stole a Horizon Q and is flying it over SeaTac. Seattle-Tacoma Intl. This is "Sky King ~ Richard Russell" by Nibbus Jimmus on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them. He carried with him a CB radio, sandwiches, beer, and a camera. Although official accounts other than through live aviation audio were hard to come by at first, many passengers took to social media to report that pilots were telling them a man had stolen a plane. Powered by. Glenn Sullivan, Ph.D., is a professor of psychology at the Virginia Military Institute and a clinical psychologist in private practice in Lexington, Virginia. About to take off. [37] From early childhood he was known as "Beebo" to his friends and family. 7 things to know", "One year after stolen Horizon plane crash, scars remain on Ketron Island", "FBI releases classified documents from 2018 Horizon Air plane theft, crash", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=2018_Horizon_Air_Q400_incident&oldid=1136228770, This page was last edited on 29 January 2023, at 10:06. 1.6K. Rich, you said you had 2100 pounds of fuel left? the controller responded. Never really knew it until now. The Russell family released a statement Saturday evening, saying they were stunned and heartbroken over the incident and the loss of aman they called Beebo. 2:18. I sure married a nice pair of calves! she joked with a photo of the couple. The story, despite seeming near-mythic, is true. 2023 TIME USA, LLC. Men in the UK, aged 20 to 49, are more likely to die from . Cast Your Vote To Select The Meme Of The Month! About to take off. Ah, Rich, dont say stuff like that, the controller said. That day, Boston Globe journalist Matt Karolian tweeted a link to the Sea-Tac air traffic control broadcast, followed by an announcement that Russell revealed he would attempt a barrel roll maneuver (shown below). Updated Nov 30, 2022 at 4:37pm. Radio banter in between, ending with the intercept audio for Rock 41 and Rock 42. suicidepreventionlifeline.org afsp.org AIRBOYD #SeaTac #ChambersBay #Q400 #Horizon. The plane started moving, but Russell jumped in the plane and took off. Nah, Im a white guy. That last line has caused some controversy online. His conversation and tone is very casual. You can watch the video above. Among the memes are images of Wojaks veering off into the sunset alongside quotes from Russell, a selfie of Russell sitting in the cockpit of the plane and video edits using audio clips from the conversation between Russell and the air traffic controller mixed with sad music and effects to emphasize the tragedy behind the event. Perhaps the least we should do in the wake of such tragedies is to reflect upon the words attributed to Philo of Alexandria: Be kind, for everyone you meet is in the midst of a great struggle.. An airline employee conducted an unauthorized takeoff without passengers at Sea-Tac; aircraft has crashed in south Puget Sound. Sep 09, 2022 at 02:47PM EDT Sea-Tac airport confirmed the plane was down a short time later. Its not clear how he pulled off the intense maneuvers captured on video. Russell had no formal training as a pilot and did not have his pilots license. Beebo was loved by everyone because he was kind and gentle to each person he met. "Sky King" is a nickname given to 29-year-old ground service operator Richard Russell after he stole a Horizon Air Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 airliner from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (Sea-Tac) and died after crashing on Ketron Island in Puget Sound. He was 29 years old and a member of the ground crew at the Seattle-Tacoma Airport, earning minimum wage. To the consternation of friends gathered to witness the launch, he quickly ascended out of sight and climbed to an altitude of 16,000 feet. It had first flown in 2012 and was delivered new to Horizon Air in the same year. sky king, sky king memes, richard russell, 4chan, sky king 2, based. They opened a bakery and ran it for three years before selling it in 2015 to be closer to Hannahs family. The crisis has engulfed the West as a whole. Im going to disappoint them to hear that I did this. In the coming days, articles about the incident were published in The New York Times,[4] CBS News[6] and The Washington Post. [28] It described the perpetrator, identified as 29-year-old Richard Russell,[29][30] as suicidal and said his actions did not constitute a "terrorist incident". Filed under You seemed like a nice guy and a hell of a natural pilot., Seattle hijackers plane heist, midair stunts and fiery crash expose gaps in aviation security. 1:10. Then he took an Alaska Airlines plane. The majority of the memes are in celebration and memorial of Russell, while others are more trollish shitposts. "[16][19] He added that he "wasn't really planning on landing it. You can listen to more archived aviation audio on the incident here, some of which captures the mans voice: READ NEXT: TikTok Influencers Son Murdered at Gas Station. A Port of Seattle official, Mike Pohl, said that Russell used an airport tractor to pull the parked plane onto a runway, which he would have known how to do, as part of his job in ground service was towing airplanes. They were born, they laughed, they struggled, they loved, and they died. You couldnt even tell it was a plane except for some of the bigger sections, like the wing section, western Pacific region chief Debra Eckrote said. Holy smokes, Ive got to stop looking at the fuel because its going down quick.. We consider ourselves bakery connoisseurs and have to try a new one every place we go. 160. r/lostgeneration. Others said it was wrong to glorify him for an act that could have killed more people. Memes about Sky King spread across the internet after the incident. This is not a terrorist incident. On Facebook, Rich, using the name Beebo Russell, wrote that he lived in Sumner, Washington, was from Wasilla, Alaska, and was married to Hannah Russell, who worked as an assistant pastry chef and waitress, according to her social media account. The Pierce County Sheriff wrote on Twitter, Stolen horizon airplane crashed into Ketron island. Facebook In 1993, Lawnchair Larry Walters was named an At-Risk Survivor in the annual Darwin Awards. Hey, I found myself in a predicament. This article was published more than4 years ago. Richard Russell, 29, hijacked a 76-seater plane from Seattle-Tacoma on Friday. Below are some of the clips. Would love your thoughts, please comment. I feel really bad for Richard and for his family. I was dead set against it. Their business contained a sign that read, I have loved you with an everlasting love. RIP Sky King, a user wrote. He has buzzed Mt Rainer and the Seattle area. Its burned quite a bit faster than I expected., He also said, Im gonna land it, in a safe kind of manner. Weird times. People like me dont do things like that. I hope they can make it through this. He said that airline employees go through background checks. Wife of Richard Russel, Hannahh Russel documented her seven-year-long marriage to the 29-year-old on Instagram ( Source : co ) "After failing to persuade Hannah of Alaska's awesomeness, we landed on Sumner due to its proximity to her family," he wrote in his blog. All Rights Reserved. A lot of the people he was helping were troubled kids.. He flew around as an air traffic controller calmly tried to reason with him. Richard "Beebo" Russell grew up in Alaska, but moved around and got married before he ended his life in Washington when he stole a passenger airplane and crashed it on a Puget Sound island. Stay tuned., Richard Russell, Rich: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know, Copyright 2023 Heavy, Inc. All rights reserved. He left no children. I just want you to whisper sweet nothings into my ear, said Rich, who claimed he could fly the plane because he played video games. Patterson did not end up flying the plane into Walmart, instead landing it in a nearby field where he was arrested. On July 2, 1982, a . I met Hannah in Coos Bay, Oregon in 2010 while we were both going to school, the about me section says. The new footage appears to show Russell wearing a shirt that reads "The Sky's No Limit . Never knew he was fighting a battle non of us knew about. On September 3rd, CNN reported that an airport worker named Cory Wayne Patterson had stolen a twin-engine plane from Tupelo Aviation and was threatening to crash it into a Mississippi Walmart. Tower, you need to call and scramble now, one pilot warned, according to the video. Normal operations at Sea-Tac Airport have resumed. New footage has been released from a 2018 incident in which an airline ground service agent named Richard Russell stole a turboprop plane from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and crashed it into an island in the Puget Sound. #seatac., A woman named Robanne Stading wrote on Twitter, #seatac airport is on a ground halt because evidently a mechanic is flying an unauthorized flightseeing trip around the mtns. #seatac pic.twitter.com/OVtJqphgqo. To be honest with you, commercial aircraft are complex machines. What now? Get the help you need from a therapist near youa FREE service from Psychology Today. Legal Information: Know Your Meme is a trademark of Literally Media Ltd. By using this site, you are agreeing by the site's terms of use and privacy policy and DMCA policy. Normal operations at Sea-Tac Airport have resumed, the airport wrote. My names Richard Russell, Im 27 and currently living in Sumner, WA with my incredible wife Hannah. [5] A nearby Alaska Airlines jet on the ground reported that the aircraft began a takeoff roll with its wheels smoking,[5] and an unauthorized take-off was made at 19:32 local time (02:32 UTC, August 11). Meanwhile, various tributes to Russell were uploaded to YouTube (shown below). Rainier. To download the mp3, right-click here and choose "save link as" or "save target as." Around 9 PM Pacific Time on August 10th, 2018, a 29-year-old man named Richard Russell, stole a Q400 airplane from Seattle Tacoma International Airport and went for a joyride [] No one else is thought to have been injured or killed, and the fighter jets did not fire . The incident spawned numerous image macros, photoshops and fan arts on 4chan . They wont let anyone leave the airport while hes up there. Never really knew it, until now.". [Im] just a broken guy, got a few screws loose, I guess. Its gonna be crazy, he said at one point in air traffic control transmissions. Second, psychiatric diagnosis also suggests simple solutions to complex problems: If he did it because he was mentally ill, we need more widely available mental health services.. It was a lie. I would hope it is for a guy like me. People on Twitter who were following the aviation audio reported that the man attempted a barrel roll with the plane at one point. He was a faithful husband, a loving son, and a good friend, Mike Mathews read from the statement at a press conference. Aw man, those guys would rough me up if I tried landing there, Rich says. It's Been Almost 8 Years Since The 'Sad Satan' Phenomenon, And People Still Aren't Sure What Happened, If You're Always In The Passenger Seat, You Might Be A 'Passenger Princess', Controversial Ontario High School Teacher Placed On Leave By School Board, The 'Whatever' 'Dating Talk' Podcast Keeps Going Viral For 'Triggering' Its Young Woman Guests, 4chan Turns Disgraced Cartoonist Scott Adams Into A Meme. [1][7][8][9] In response, two McDonnell Douglas F-15C Eagles of the Oregon Air National Guard's 142nd Fighter Wing under the command of NORAD[10] were scrambled at around 20:15 local time[11] from Portland Air National Guard Base to intercept it. If he was bipolar and did that, then I dont have to worry about doing that, because Im not bipolar. That is something that they do. Preliminary info is that a mechanic from unknown airlines stole plane. This dives into the psychology and reason of why he Hi-jacked a plane and . We are aware of an incident involving an unauthorized take-off of a Horizon Air Q400. I had this dream for 20 years, and if I hadnt done it, I think I would have ended up in the funny farm. That is an example of what we clinicians call good insight.. Richard Russell: Details emerge of a compassionate man after Seattle plane heist and fiery crash. The statement, he added, was the only one that will be released. I think Im gonna try to do a barrel roll, and if that goes good, Im just gonna nose down and call it a night..