Charles Ross and through some alleged back room dealings the Ross was adopted by the Canadian Army. The U.S. used some Ross rifles as drill rifles in WWI, but I am not sure they actually used them a firing rifles. As the buyer, you should be aware of possible: . The Ross rifle and the Swiss Schmidt-Rubin rifle are the most well known designs of this nature. Tom took two rifles, one a Lee-Enfield he restocked himself, using 180-grain Partitions. Despite knowing my 1910s riveted bolt was assembled correctly, I initially fired the rifle with its stock firmly wedged in a weighted cardboard box, pulling the trigger with 25 yards of nylon rope. Then some of the Canadian owned Warner & Swasey scopes were fitted to No. (D.P. Any information concerning this rifle and perhaps its value would be greatly appreciated! Ross rifles and the .280 Ross cartridge thus became inseparable in the public mind. The "dump loading" lever was gone, and a charger guide was added for loading with stripper clips. This model was very popular in Canada. Ross Rifles were collected hurriedly from stocks held in the Shetland Islands in May 1942 to re-equip the survivors of Operation Fritham in Spitsbergen who had lost everything when their ship was sunk. Canadian Market Value Estimate: $ 1916 M10 Mk. Ross M10 Military Rifle - JoeSalter.ca when converted to an Enfield No.2 .22RF training rifle. Oops! The front core of Partitions is also a relatively soft lead alloy so expands well at modest impact velocities, as my friend Tom Brownlee demonstrated during a 1999 safari in Namibia. Ross Sniper Rifles - www.captainstevens.com Some 13,000 were newly manufactured before this model was superseded by the Rifle, Ross Mk III in 1912. A magazine cut-off was employed, but the design that lowered the magazine shell was discarded and replaced by one that restricted the rearward travel of the bolt. Value? Ross Rifle M10 - milsurps.com My rifle was also one of many that had a rivet installed in the bolt body, preventing incorrect reassembly, which occurs when the firing-pin assembly was screwed in too deeply. This is the fire position, but flipped halfway forward is safe with the bolt unlocked, and all the way forward is safe with the bolt locked closed. Summary Vehicle History Report below provided by AutoCheck. However if you are expecting a part to be 100% accurate to the original ones that won't happen. I should add that mine at $750 has a perfect bore and other than the sling swivel has not been messed with at all. Ross Rifle Co M-10 Rifle 280 Ross | Rock Island Auction I know nothing about guns so how would i determine whether it is full stock or sporter? : Vieta bruotajos spkos, struktra un uzdevumi", "Latvijas policijas autene #VP100 #100gadi100liets | Valsts policija - Facebook", "The guns of "DAD's Army" part 1: Small Arms of the British Home Guard 1940-1944: they probably worried their own government more than they did the Nazis, but they did their part in the dark days when Britain fell under the German shadow. What's it worth? After the initial experiments I slugged the four-groove bore, measuring the slug with a Starrett digital micrometer. The Ross was an excellent sniper rifle. Ross M10, 303 caliber rifle. The 30 1/2" barrel shows a bright, very good shootable bore. M10 Value on: January 03, 2014, 10:26:35 PM Is anyone aware of recent M10 sporter sales in Canada and the values involved? SOME PARTS AND COMPONENTS MAY NOT BE . MAKE Winchester MODEL Model 70 SERIAL G376291 TYPE Rifle GAUGE/CALIBER 458 Cal EXTRA NEW IN BOX. This designation identified specific conversions of older weapons and did not reflect any changes to new production. Instead they were developed by custom gunsmith Frank Pachmayr before World War II.) Years ago I owned both a military M10 .303 and a commercial m10 in 280 Ross. Apparently a gamble with your life if you intend to fire it; the Ross rifle had/has a poor reputation for safety (to the shooter) as the bolt lockup was unreliable; dirt and fouling was to blame as was an over complicated bolt design. [6] Lieutenant Chris Scriven of the 10th Battalion, CEF, commented that it sometimes took five men just to keep one rifle firing. On Nov. 17, 1917, an agreement was reached for the purchase of 20,000 Mark II Ross rifles from the Canadian government, complete with bayonets, scabbards, slings and oil bottles for $12.50 each. ross rifle m10 value. meaning general purpose). For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. ACTION: STRAIGHT BOLT RIFLE. Pre-war sporting rifle. Although the British were now encouraging standardization across the Empire on the LeeEnfield, Canada stayed with the Ross. We restore military Ross Rifles back to there full glory. Night Cobra $899.00. [citation needed] The new .280 Ross cartridge gained it a fine reputation for medium-sized game, and for a time after 1918 it was a fairly common rifle on safari. [16][17], Some sporterised M1905 (Mk II) military rifles were made available to general public in 1906. It was withdrawn and This product has an average rating of 5 stars out of 5 stars from 27 ratings. It has the issue stamp for the Crombie Royal Marine base, so at some point after it was pulled from service in 1916/1917 it was given to the British and they issued it to the RM. ROSS RIFLE CO. All Models :: Gun Values by Gun Digest The sporting rifle is scarce as many more military and target rifles were produced. The British proofs and inspection stamps on the barrel shank and receiver are somewhat faded. MkII RFI ( Ishapore Factory ) Dated December 1944. Town: Calgary. Canadians retained the Ross even as additional contingents arrived in France. In 1911, the shorter variants were replaced by the longer Mk II** as standard Canadian issue. NOTE: Mark III and Model 1910 (M10) rifles can be very dangerous to fire if bolt has been taken apart and incorrectly reassembled. Features long full round barrel, sleeved front sight, sling swivel attachment, single . Militia Enfield Price: Description: Bayonet & Scabbard. [2], By 1916, the rifle had been withdrawn from front line service but continued to be used by many snipers of the Canadian Expeditionary Force until the end of the war due to its exceptional accuracy. One is just buying art that you can't display in Kanada. Originally the stock would have been longer and had a front barrel band with a bayonet lug. Instruction was then given to Ross to improve the rifle and in 1907 the Ross Rifle MKII, after it was adopted for official military issue in 1905. . In stock. He nevertheless continued to believe in its strengths despite the professional opinion of Sir Edwin Alderson, the British Army officer who was commander of the First Canadian Division. This offer was accepted by the Liberal government of Sir Wilfrid Laurier and Ross was awarded his first contract in 1903 for 12,000 Mark I Ross rifles. Having been stored well and having seen little use, this rifle retains a high level of condition. [1], The British government chose to purchase a version of the Mk III with a far simpler rear sight known as the "War Office Pattern Sight". Email: james.killington@hotmail.com. The weapons were designated Rifle, Ross Mk II*. According to the velocity rule for single-based powders (increasing the charge increases muzzle velocity the same percentage), the 48-grain load would get just about 2,440 fps and did. The Sight, Ross Mk II was retained, however. It is equipped with a pinned blade front sight, folding 500 yard notch rear sight, and a Weaver K2.5 60-B scope on weaver mounts with a German #1 style reticle. The new high-pressure round required some strengthening of the bolt and action receiver, but the rifle was otherwise only slightly different from the .303 Mark II. Some internal improvements were made as well. Make: Ross Rifle Company, Canada. [1], This rifle was an adaptation of the Rifle, Ross Mk II to use the Sight, Sutherland Mk II. SN: 17508, JMD Oval Tag: 6627, Condition: Very Good, >> FFL IS REQUIRED << This item is part of the auction: J.M. UPC:754908255702. The initial handload was based on a load that had proven accurate in other .303s, including a sporterized WWII-era Lee-Enfield inherited from my Uncle Larry, and one of the Ruger No. Starting in 1910, some 15,000 were manufactured. Had some provenance. The transition from Ross sporting models to Ross military rifles was an easy one. Charles Ross and through some alleged back room dealings the Ross was adopted by the Canadian Army. It has a bayonet lug and the strap my be original. Colt Python .357 Magnum 6rd $1499.00. Take a photo of the full gun and we can tell you. Canadian Ross Rifle M-10 M10, Non-Import, Blue 26 Straight Pull Bolt ross rifle m10 value. Many weapons would have this replaced with the Sight, Ross Mk II, a curved sliding "Lange Vizier" type. If it ends up right in front of the bolt body, the locking lugs end up behind the locking recesses, and the rifle can still be fired, at least sometimes. Canadian Ross Mk III Rifle M-10 M10 Straight Pull Bolt Action Rifle C&R first couple shots my head sure werent rite behind the action though i can tell you that. Posts: 16. I have recently discovered a Ross Rifle Company M10 that apparently belonged to my father or grandfather and would like some more information. The Ross Rifle In U.S. Service | An Official Journal Of The NRA The rifle is over 100 years old and can still put lots of .303 down range. [16][17], After the rejection of the Ross as a battlefield rifle, the Dominion Rifle Factory adapted the action to a light machinegun, the Huot, using surplus rifles. . MAKE Ross MODEL M10 SERIAL 1036 TYPE Rifle GAUGE/CALIBER 303 British Unable to retrieve AutoCheck Summary Report, please try back later. The rifle will have full wood configuration and the barrel will be the original in 30.5 inches or the carbine in 26.5 inches. model designation, variant type, DOM, etc would be on the stock - not on the BBL. US SPRINGFIELD ARMORY M1A SERIAL 251075 BARREL LENGTH TO END OF FLASH HIDER 24" OVERALL WOOD AND METAL NEAR MINT BORE LIKE NEW. Sr. Serial numbers for rifles manufactured in 1915 have a FK prefix; while those manufactured in 1917 have a LU prefix. 1As offered in .303 several years ago. 20,000 were sold to the United States in Nov, 1917. UNCUT BARREL, INCLUDES RECEIVER NO OTHER PARTS. The rifle is marked to the 16th Battalion C.E.F. The sights dovetail was a little larger than the slot on the Rosss front-sight base, but 10 minutes of work with a triangular file allowed my Williams sight-pusher tool (purchased from Brownells many years ago) to press the new sight firmly into the Ross base. Very good overall condition. Unlike the LeeEnfield, the bolt of the Ross rifle could be taken apart without special tools, although this was not necessarily an advantage as it encouraged unauthorized disassembly by soldiers. In May 1909, it was decided to convert some 500 of the Rifle, Ross Mk II, with Sight, Ross Mk III to the new design for field trials. Barrel Length: Approx. Post Date: May 07 . The Ross rifle is a straight-pull bolt action rifle chambered in .303 British that was produced in Canada from 1903 until 1918. city of semmes public works. Wolfe Publishing Company | 2180 Gulfstream Suite A | Prescott, AZ 86301. Serial #B5270, .280 Ross, 30 1/2" barrel with an excellent bright bore. Our large and unique selection of AR-10 and AR-15 rifles allows us to offer you an unmatched range of 5.56, 300 Blackout, 9mm, 6.5 Creedmoor and 308 guns. The militarized Pattern 1900 was also the first to be offered for trial to Canada. All were converted from Rifle, Ross Mk II with Sight, Ross Mk III or the later Rifle, Ross Mk II4*. Ross ended up in the U.S., where his first factory rifles were built in Connecticut; afterward some were also made in England. 273, August 2011.). ROSS RIFLE CO 1905 SPORTER - D15900 - Simpson Ltd ross rifle , model: m10 sporter , caliber: 303 br , straight pull bolt, blade front and peep rear sight marked hwc (cooey), bore is fair, one piece sporterized hardwood stock with a crack at the tang, and crack at left side of forend, has sling swivels and canvas sling, steel butt plate, barrel and magazine have been painted black, shows some handling marks , stock # 9913 , serial # n/a . SIGHTS Some snipers had great success with the original Ross fine iron sights. The right target was shot at 25 yards to see how well the new front sight worked, and the target at left was shot at 100 yards. [1], Development of this weapon began in the spring of 1908, and the planned designation was Rifle, Ross Mk III. This made me suspect the rifle might also shoot standard .308-inch .30-caliber bullets. This action used a coil spring to activate the firing pin, instead of the hinged-hammer of the M1897. Some very scarce Mk II** with the same threaded lugs and receiver are known to exist. With a correctly assembled bolt, you can actually see the bolt head turn into the locking lug recesses. Ross Canadian Military Rifle MarkII*** .303 - Guns International Ross Mk III .303 Rifle | Second Hand Guns for Sale | guntrader I have included pictures of any identifying marks in the hope someone will be able to provide more information, such as history of the weapon, explanation of the markings, manufacturing info and possible monetary value. Asking $2800. Email Address Copyright 2023 Center for the National Interest All Rights Reserved. ROSS RIFLE CO M1910 MILITARY RIFLE - D15874 $995.00 ROSS RIFLE CO M1910 RIFLE SPORTER - D15904 $1,195.00 ROSS RIFLE CO 1910 SPORTING RIFLE - C23515 $1,405.00 CHURCHILL HIGHLANDER - Z35760 $495.00 Recommended ROSS RIFLE CO 1910 SPORTING RIFLE - C23515 $1,405.00 ROSS RIFLE CO M1910 MILITARY RIFLE - D15874 $995.00 [12] By the time of the Somme battles of July 1916, Sir Douglas Haig, the new Commander-in-Chief of the British Expeditionary Force, had ordered the replacement of all Ross rifles in the three Canadian Divisions by the Pattern 1914 Enfield, which was finally available in quantity. just wondering what it might be worth roughly? Some 66,590 were produced. This led to the design of the .280 Ross. atomic disassembler extended vein; population studies notes; las palapas chicken tortilla soup copycat recipe; tony gallopin et sa nouvelle compagne; vito genovese daughter; ssga funds management, inc board of directors; kuhl radikl pant men's, carbon, 36; The wood shows some service repair and a later refinish by a prior owner. ross rifle m10 value - lars-t-schlereth.com Name : Heckler & Koch P7 M8, M13 & M10 AKA : The Squeeze Cocker, PSP, P7 M8,M13,M10, Calibers : 9x19mm Parabellum, .40 S&W, Capacity : 8 and 13 Rounds (9mm), 10 Rounds (.40 S&W) . The barrel is marked 8060 on the left side. Obviously, the body does not rotate, and in the 1910 action the bottom of the bolt has longitudinal slots milled on each side, matching a pair of steel rails in the bottom of the action. Despite successful trials, it was never adopted for service. RIAC believes that this website is accessible to the widest possible audience pursuant to the guidelines of the Americans with Disability Act. This example shows the original Canadian DCP proofs. Ross 1910 MKIII Parts | Numrich - Gun Parts Corp Caliber: .303 British. I have included pictures of any identifying marks in the hope someone will be able to provide more information, such as history of the weapon, explanation of the markings, manufacturing info and possible monetary value. I have recently discovered a Ross Rifle Company M10 that apparently belonged to my father or grandfather and would like some more information. included 18,000-odd Pattern '14s and 2310 Canadian .303 M10 Rosses. for an example with a checkered history. Some measuring and calculating indicated the front sight needed to be about .2 inch higher in order for my handload to land near point of aim at 25 yards. pollard funeral home okc. The 47-grain load fired normally, so I fired three shots with the 48-grain load at a 25-yard target. M10. Thanks. CROSS has the added functionality of CROSS referencing rulings from the initial search result set with their modified, revoked or referenced counterparts. Deer Stalking-Pattern Rifle. In all, approximately 420,000 Ross service rifles were produced, 342,040 of which were purchased by the British.[11]. Bayonet & Scabbard. The Model 10 was the standard infantry weapon of the First Canadian Contingent of the Canadian Expeditionary Force when it first arrived in France in February 1915. Well for starters the LC there means large chamber, they reamed them out so as to function with oversized .303 brit ammo made by the British. advantages of dynamic scoping vs static scoping, are newspapers put in plastic bags by machine, Power A Fusion Pro 2 Firmware Update 2021. [5] Many Canadians of the First Contingent (now renamed the 1st Canadian Division) at Ypres purposefully retrieved LeeEnfield rifles from fallen British soldiers to replace their own inferior Ross rifles. This Ross Rifle Company M-1910 has been sporterized with the stock having issues in several areas including a crack on the left side of the receiver, however the metal and the action are in good condi, "The Ross Model 1910 straight-pull bolt action sporting rifle in .280 Ross was manufactured from 1910-1915. This is mine, it is all original, except for the mounts which are sadly repro. While various models of Swedish Carl-Gustav rifle were popular, Soviet biathletes had success with Ross rifles outfitted with slings, target sights and 3-position stocks. [1], The "Sight, Ross Mk II" proved more fragile than desired, and it was replaced with a simpler version, the "Sight, Ross Mk III". The bolt handle and sleeve thus need only be pushed backwards or forwards to open or close the action of the rifle. Sr. A total of 10,500 were manufactured. Class: Curio & Relic Long Gun. One of these was a poorly designed bolt lock that enabled the bolt to fall right out of the rifle. A. Bennett, to produce a sporting rifle called Model 1897 Magazine Sporting Rifle a hinged hammer type rifle. In spite of the bolt scare, they are strong rifles. I've got a M10 Ross that's pretty much the twin to yours. The 28 inch barrel length was retained, and the Sight, Ross Mk II was used. The Ross Mk.II (or "model 1905") rifle was highly successful in target shooting before World War I, but the close chamber . You are here: Home. [17], Model 1907 and 1905/1910 Match Target Rifle These very important single-shot rifles (two rifles are known to exist) are bearing special feature that would make the M1910 so different; the threaded locking lugs and receiver. Unfortunately, despite Grey using the straight-pull bolt to quickly shoot an oncoming lion twice, first at 20 yards and again at five, the bullets failed to penetrate and the lion mauled Grey so severely he died a few days later. / 155" stamped on the right side of the buttstock. The one source mentioning it considers the designation dubious. Ross rifles always enjoyed an excellent reputation for accuracy, probably due to fine tolerances and such features as the bolt-alignment slots. Stock is nicely checkered. Reports suggest few of donated rifles were militarily effective due to insufficient ammunition supplies. ross rifle m10 value [4] However, reports of such incidents with regard to this specific failing were relatively minor. It's in excellent condition, without rust. The most famous instance firmly implanted the .280 Ross in hunters minds: In 1911 George Grey was chasing lions on horseback in Kenya with several companions. I have included pictures of any identifying marks in the hope someone will be able to provide more information, such as history of the weapon, explanation of the markings, manufacturing info and possible monetary value. In a correctly assembled bolt, the bolt head should be about an inch in front of the bolt body. ROSS RIFLE , MODEL: M10 MKIII , CALIBER: 303 BR , BORE IS FAIR, SOME WEAR, SOME SHINE. This example has a Lyman 48 long tang receiver sight installed over the rear bridge. Post Date: May 07 . As I previously mentioned I'm afraid getting the Ross book was going to be costly. [citation needed], Ross Mark II** Commercial Target Model in .303 British, with a .mw-parser-output .frac{white-space:nowrap}.mw-parser-output .frac .num,.mw-parser-output .frac .den{font-size:80%;line-height:0;vertical-align:super}.mw-parser-output .frac .den{vertical-align:sub}.mw-parser-output .sr-only{border:0;clip:rect(0,0,0,0);height:1px;margin:-1px;overflow:hidden;padding:0;position:absolute;width:1px}30+12 inches (770mm) heavy barrel, was a real success in the Match Ranges from 1908 to 1913. Member Posts: 255. Action Type: Straight Pull Bolt Action, Fixed Magazine. Value is all over the place for these rare HG marked Ross rifles. Ross, Rifle, Cadet, Ross, Rifle, Short, Ross Mk I, and Rifle, Short, Ross Mk II became Rifle, Ross, .303", Cadet D.P. "18"" lever action rifle with a Gold PVD receiver, Blued barrel, adjustable irons, 15RD capacity, &, a wooden stock. Many shooters also believe all Ross rifles were chambered for the .280 Ross, a rimless magnum that appeared in 1907 using bullets .287-inch in diameter. The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? I'm not sure if it ever sold. You've . These were cheaper than the Lewis guns then in use. ross rifle m10 value Ross Rifles for sale - Guns International Some Rosses had a serial number stamped on the barrel, common before many countries made serial numbers on the action mandatory, but mine does not. Pages: [1] . Further improvements would be introduced to production without changing the designation. 1905. In November 1916, Hughes resigned after Sir Robert Borden's decision to appoint a Minister of Overseas Forces. Canadian Ross Rifle Mk III .303 British M-10 Straight Pull MFD 1914-16 Description: This is one of the first 2,000 Ross bayonets manufactured in January of 1909, and measures 14 3/4 overall with a 10 1/8 straight, single-edged blade without fullers. It also proved itself as being an outstanding Match Rifle, building a strong reputation for accuracy. . ross rifle m10 value - rsganesha.com These groups were fired with the open rear sight. Designed by Sir. June 30, 2022; gym pulley system This might be due to the roundnose ogives being closer to the lands. Add to cart. The metal shows clear markings and most of its' original blue trace of case color on the bolt. [1], The Ross Mk.II (or "model 1905") rifle was highly successful in target shooting before World War I, but the close chamber tolerances, lack of primary extraction and length made the Mk.III (or "1910") Ross rifle unsuitable for the conditions of trench warfare, exacerbated by the often poor quality ammunition issued.