by Mike Duncan RELEASE DATE: Aug. 24, 2021. There is no guiding hand here, it does not exist. But then I wound up moving on to ancient history. 659 episodes totalling 313 hours, 54 minutes. Most of the time, when youre talking about if a revolution from below succeeds or doesnt succeed, it has very little to do with whether or not the sovereign can bring full force to bear. But shouldnt it be an odd number for tie breakers? Mike Duncan. Oct. 28, 2013. When, in point of fact, the French Revolution was something that went on for 10 or 15 years, depending on where you want to mark the beginning and the end. Few people have done more to make history interesting and accessible to the layperson as Mike Duncan. Dismiss. And then there has always been a place for popularizers. Then Im going to be talking about it from the perspective of the Bolsheviks, and the Mensheviks, and Im going to be talking about it from the perspective of Nicholas and the czars. Mike Duncan. His award-winning series, The History of Rome, remains a legendary landmark in the history of podcasting.Duncan's ongoing series, Revolutions, explores the great political revolutions that have . Especially coming out of The History of Rome, because there are lots of people that do listen to The History of Rome, and ancient history, classical history, is something that is often appropriated. Or that you start hoping to accomplish something, and then its a bit by bit thing, where everyday you do a small course correction and a small course correction and you do something in that day for that moment that you feel like you have to do. This is a thing that I do actually believe. GOD AND PSYCHOLOGY | Stephen Parker. Duncan Smith, MInstRE, Tech IOSH Expand search. We have got to be water. The other thing that we could do is if we loosened up a little bit and said, Ok, things are going to change. Yeah, all of our extremely right-wing climate change-denying Current Affairs listeners. But those guys, those guys think that they are going to interface with Fibernetics and upload their consciousness to a cloud and beam themselves to Mars so they dont actually have to worry about any of this stuff. IN COLLECTIONS Podcast Compilation Collection . Something like that. Lyta Gold is the Amusements and Managing Editor at Current Affairs. Is there a historical precedent for that alternative? Because Im coming out of this, Im a white guy from Seattle, Washington in the 21st century, so the society that I grew up with is going to inform my worldview on all those fronts. And if youre going to study Cicero and Seneca, you have got to learn about the Roman Empire. We're sorry about this, but inflation has hit production costs. To have a sense of how long humans have been at this. So, I think its happening, I think its going on. So, when I came out of school, what turned out being the thing that I most wanted to keep going with was the history part of it. A wildly successful podcaster and New York Times-bestselling author, hes tackled topics ranging across space and time. Bookmark Quiz Bookmark Quiz Bookmark. Oct. 4 San Francisco @ Palace of Fine Arts. His award-winning series, The History of Rome, remains a legendary landmark in the history of podcasting.Duncan's ongoing series Revolutions explores the great political revolutions that have driven the course of modern history. The Creelman Interview. Now: The Russian Revolution Next: ??? I guess that is not true, some historians think they are doing a political project. I would hope that we would lighten up a little bit, but again, Im not very optimistic about it. I do think there is an alternative strategy for dealing with all of this that will maybe see us come through it. Yeah. As a historical researcher he's come a long way over the course of Revolutions, never mind History of Rome. Our listeners are going to love that. You dont have a PhD in history, right? Our gorgeous fall edition! Revolutions of 1848 8. Mike Duncan is a history podcaster and author of the New York Times-bestselling books, Hero of Two Worlds: The Marquis de Lafayette in the Age of Revolution and The Storm Before the Storm: The . Browse Mike Duncan's best-selling audiobooks and newest titles. The Roman Empire survived the Crisis of the Third Century. Join us in celebrating the paperback release of Mike Duncan's book Hero of Two Worlds! And I think youve maintained your veil on that. Thats true, speaking of history being driven by mistakes rather than out-and-out genius. Yeah. Mike Duncan More ways to shop: Find an Apple Store or other retailer near you. And its fantastic. Different outfits. But these are my parents, and I love them dearly. View Reports-/5-RATE In order to focus on this upcoming book, Mike Duncan has put the Revolutions podcast on hiatus from April all the way to October. I think that one of the ones in particular that I wanted to ask about is: it seemed like, at least in the earlier seasons, sovereign debt was a large driver of a lot of this stuff. One of them you can already see manifesting itself, and it is this right-wing xenophobic populist nationalism that is going to try to say, Nobody can come here. They dont know about Thermidor, they dont know about Bonaparte. Share with Friends Add To Playlist. How do you think that its going to affect revolutionary movements? Its one of the major drivers if youre talking about groups of individuals who are ready to steamroll over what we would consider to be the legitimate state apparatus of any given statethe people who are looking to just throw it all overboard to install their own vision of what a state ought to look like. I imagine that takes some work to try to present this stuff in a way that is not I mean, I dont know; how do you do that? But theyre like, This is the greatest time in human history to be alive.. French Revolution 4. Megyn Kelly is joined by the hosts of the Ruthless Podcast, Comfortably Smug, Josh Holmes, Michael Duncan and John Ashbrook, to discuss Gisele Fetterman's de. Because we want to save people from the estates. Or a bullshit artist who is really just looking to sell you razors, and Im just a hoax? The basic thesis of that is four case studies about how mistakes lead to history unfolding the way that it does, far more than just some brilliant work of a genius. That is one thing that I do thinkbecause I do keep this in the forefront of my mindthe people in history dont know how its going to turn out. WALTER BENJAMIN'S RELIGIOUS LANDSCAPE | Brian Britt. A weekly podcasting exploring great political revolutions. I mean, there are probably people out there that dont even realize that Louis XVI was not beheaded at the end of 1789. I mean, even a lot of Napoleons career is built around mistakes and luck far more than him having some genius plan and pulling it off. Oct. 26 Boston @ The Wilbur. Im a , whatever, an elder millennial of the Oregon Trail generation. . it might be the only solution, which we have written an article about in Current Affairs. When the British started taxing themselves in the latter 1600s, suddenly their tax tripled after they came out of the Stuart dynasty. He should never have a moments peace in public ever again, I think. I do not think that the country is primed for it in any way. The false promise of billionaire space plans, the dangers of natural law, the politics of Dr. Phil's show, the history of Stalin's atrocities.plus a delightful assortment of amusements, from the Intergalactic Zoo to behind the scenes at Fox News! Mike Duncan's Revolutions Can you name the revolutions covered in Mike Duncan's podcast series Revolutions? I think you can actually look at any of the polls today and find quite a bit more support out there in the general population for these sorts of open-minded, welcoming, and accepting policies. What the banking class is saying to the sovereigns is, If you dont call the parliament, were not going to give you any more money.. Haitian Revolution 5. So what I can do is take all of that information that Im really interested in and convey it to the people, and thats a part of a longstanding tradition. What was going on with Louis XVIand also what was going on, for example, with Charles I in England when he went off and started the Bishops Waris that the guys who had the money realized that they could use this to leverage the monarchy to their own personal, political advantage. The rigid, postural, conflict-driven policies of the Republican Party currently represents a shrinking minority of political opinion. Columbia Pictures / Revolution Studios / RKO Pictures / Cubevision: Steve Carr (director); Hank Nelken (screenplay); Ice Cube, Nia Long, John C. McGinley, Aleisha Allen, Philip Daniel Bolden, Tahj Mowry, Dan Joffre, Pedro Miguel Arce, Linda Kash, Hayes McArthur, Colin and Gavin Strange, Jonathan Katz, Earvin . Have things changed so much since the Russian Revolution? "Hero of Two Worlds: The Marquis de Lafayette in the Age of Revolution" out now! The History of Rome + Revolutions. 9.03. Its like what they do in the Ninth Circuit. Join now Sign in . However, he concluded the podcast in 2012. What I think has often been lacking, and this goes back to what I feel like my role is here in the popularization of history, is that people often lack a kind of barebones narrative of what happened. My answer, of course, to have we reached the end of history? is no. That sort of vein. Today we have an extremely special guest. I wont name this specific group or this generation, you may have heard of them. The 80's Revolution. Books will be distributed the night of the show only. That a revolution is a very discrete, quick, violent event. It happened in Prussia, it happened in France, it happened down in Italy. Mike Duncan hosts "The History of Rome" and "Revolutions" podcast series, and is the author of "The Storm Before the Storm: The Beginning of the End of the Roman Republic." October 31, 2018 at 6: . Im going to have a lot of time on my hands after Revolutions, and at some point I dont know exactly what I am going to do with myself. Choose your country or region. Current Affairs was lucky enough to get him on our podcast for an interview with editors Lyta Gold and Sparky Abraham. $18.99. You know, its not like Toussaint Louverture is going around with a magical W over his head that stands for winner. Nobody knows that hes going to be the winner in the end. I do not think I was. How do you deal with this? So, I do believe that there is human agency inside of the unfolding of history. However, theyve been quite successful at holding onto the levers of power at all costs and forcing through policies that are not actually that popularthat are in fact quite unpopular and are not representative of what the citizens of the United States of America actually want. So, theres some hope that if something resembling a democratic backlasha small d democratic backlashcan happen and finally swamp the ship and send the modern Republican Party to the bottom of the fucking sea, then maybe we can have something that is good in the future. I dont even have my metaphors worked out right. I think when you come into the world, all of human history has happened before you, so you cant just go off and do whatever you want. I think that there are two ways that we can approach this as human beings. As you know, Capitalism In Crisis focuses on the past, on the causes of the crisis. They couldve just blasted these people into submission. 9.06. Dismiss. Thanks, Mike, for joining us. Youre not going to say abolish the Senate, but well say abolish the Senate. Its a fun experiment more than anything else. Why do you want parliament involved? G. Gordon Liddy is Oliver North just being rehabilitated as a fine statesman. Among the . I think that what we are going to see is much closer to Romes Crisis of the Third Century period, which was a huge moment of state breakdown. This is the downfall of the prophet, mystic, and the sage theory, is that it does not deal well with people who are just full of shit. Duncan also collaborates with illustrator Jason Novak on informative cartoons that humorously explain the historical context for . We came out of World War II, we had the Civil Rights Movement, and this is the end of all of that. There are two aspects of this. Dismiss. Or will we just have revolutions in a different style? So were not offended. Ch*ngona Revolution. And one other thing that I think I have done well on this front, and Im doing this with the Russian RevolutionIm forcing myself to do thisis when we know how the revolution turned out, then we start to back up and write a straight-line history of the event knowing how it is going to end. It is far more primed for authoritarian fascism than it is for left-wing communism. And that brings us back to whats going to be depressing about the future. But somebody who knows more can correct me on Twitter, Im sure. Because we all watched this happen, with the previous administration. He is the voice behind the award-winning podcasts "The History of Rome" and "Revolutions".