Galatia Baptist Church was live. | By Galatia Baptist Church Copyright 2023. Greek Orthodox Church 1904 , , . However, the two do differ in their exact phraseology. He is also the kind of God who has a unique Son, meaning he is God the Father not father with relation to a world which is his offspring, but Father with relation to a Son who is unique, only-begotten (whether the word monogenes is best rendered that way or not), and so intimate to the Fathers being that he is give-able. Is it possible to create a concave light? Against such there is no law. Matthew 11:4. AMP. This will perhaps change the way you read many passages. Web214 views, 7 likes, 2 loves, 3 comments, 1 shares, Facebook Watch Videos from Galatia Baptist Church: Galatia Baptist Church was live. (Hebrews 11:1 NKJV). So the word 'believe' in John 3:15-16 is used in the application of what the Son of God Taught. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. And we build Love with having a relationship with God. Why did Ukraine abstain from the UNHRC vote on China? Kreiss, Sur le sens du mot dans le N.T. p. 676 sqq." Learn more about Stack Overflow the company, and our products. Believing in Jesus is a daily choice to dedicate our lives to him, and to seek his kingdom rather than indulge ourselves. do you receive Christ? What does John For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. iii. His purpose according the text (John 3:16) is to give eternal life to everyone who seeks it, but He does not force anyone to yield to His plan. This is where much error has divided the Churches. So I want to give a thorough presentation so that confusion can actually end. The Answer outrigh Your friend turned you down, when they turned down your message. replace it, after checking the context, with the construction "goes on" + the present participle ( for example: "goes on believing", "goes on forgiving" etc.). Appendix 2: Are the teachings of the gospels, including the "hard sayings", for us? To believe in Jesus is to accept what God the Father says about Jesus, and what Jesus says about The Kingdom of Heaven as true, and then act up on Killing a child born deformed, thinking they're doing them good by not allowing them go through life in a deformed condition. In what manner? To follow is an action. Believing in Jesus means to trust him daily and to have a relationship with God that leads to strong faith. 11:1 ESV). So in other words to believe is to accept, and then to act upon. John 3:16 In other words, the English word "world," and it's Greek equivalent "kosmos" can, and often do, refer to "any aggregate or general collection of particulars of any sort," which includes not only Definition 8a: "the Gentiles as contrasted to the Jews" but also Definition 8b: "of believers only." Web8) any aggregate or general collection of particulars of any sort. Translations all offer their best guess about where the quotation marks should begin and end in this conversation with Nicodemus. We grow food to support a community, build and repair homes, and support the poor, widows, and the fatherless. What if I dont feel like a sinner? Jesus said, I am the resurrection and life. Eng. Stephanus Textus Receptus 1550 ' . So either "the Body" fulfills the Law, or the "Spirit" Fulfills the Law. 1 John 5:1 - "and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him." This is where much error has divided the Churches. It cannot be insignificant, however, that John 3:16 is prefaced by Jesus admonition that what is born of the flesh is flesh, but what is born of the Spirit is spirit, and that ending the section we have the remarkable statement: He whom God has sent utters the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure. WebJohn 3:16, NIV: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. The rule is that the present tense of a verb denotes duration, i.e. So I want to give a thorough presentation so that confusion can actually end. Greek/Hebrew Definitions 12)," namely "His children among mankind," "the community which has been created in Christ from eternity," or "those who are chosen and loved by God," i.e. My suggestion would be that whenever you see the present tense ("believes", "forgives" etc.) Please be sure to take the, scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/joh3.pdf, http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/Greek_Index.htm, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2-o0WI_qz8. WebAnswer (1 of 31): John 3:16 16 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. This meaning is just the same - Jesus came to reveal God as per John 1:18. "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life. NIV John 3:16, what does it mean by 'world'? Consider the doctrinal loci in a traditional order: The Doctrine of Revelation: According to John 3:16, God has made this love known to us in a mighty act of salvation which we should pay attention to. How to match a specific column position till the end of line? The Holy Spirit lifts up Jesus Christ always as that reproof of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment (John 16:8). ), See John 5. [closed], word begat is found many times in the scripture, en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%CE%B3%CE%AD%CE%BD%CE%BF%CF%82#Greek, Arius argued that the Son was created ex nihilo, Dialogue of Justin, Philosopher and Martyr, with Trypho. Notice he did not say if you do evil you will die. Site design / logo 2023 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under CC BY-SA. (Church Growth; 24 August 2012). 3 Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, Get justice for me from my adversary. 4 And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, Though I do not fear God nor regard man, 5 yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me. (Luke 18:1-5 NKJV), I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs. For God loved the world in this way: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. On the Work of Christ. In John 3, Jesus has just told Nicodemus that he has heavenly things to declare, because he is the one who has descended from heaven and gives testimony about what he knows for certain and has seen. Who is His only Son (John 3:16)? Agape Many people read (and have been taught) that the so in John 3:16 refers to the amount of Gods love. faith - The word 'believe' in John 3:15-16 - Biblical When seeing that the air Conditioner is broken the man trusts in the word and prays "Can we get a new Air Conditioner?" I have been doing some theological studies of Baptist denominational beliefs, and I have notice that "free will baptists" (who are more Armenian in their theology), refer to John 3:16's "believeth" as "believe and keep on believing", bascially John 16 Greek Some people call love all manner of things this days e.g. The Bible This is part of the book: "The Warnings of the New Testament". Whoever goes on believing in him is not condemned. Dr. Joseph R. Nally, Jr., D.D., M.Div. continued to post 3 K Kermos Well-Known Member Mar 18, 2019 1,854 317 83 United States JesusDelivers.Faith Faith Christian They are essentially pointing the same direction; to the same meaning. 1 Cor 4:15 - "For though you have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have you not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel" Here, Paul has begotten many Christians. John 1 Jesus is referenced here as the Word, God, and Light. Taken from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/john_1:1 John 1:1 is the first verse in the With that meaning, the verse might more literally read believing into Jesus, word-for word or thought-for thought). 16 that whoever goes on believing in him should not perish but have eternal life. The Greek word translated world in John 3:16 is kosmos, which, according to Thayers Greek Lexicon, means the inhabitants of the earth, men, the human race. The The actual Greek phrases in question are: John 3:15 - = believing in Him John 3:16 - = believing in Him In both Understanding evil is very important to this concept. manner God loved the world . The man by the pool of bethesda was made whole and had no idea who Jesus was or whose Son he was. Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. You may object that it doesnt matter who is speaking, and you may be right. WebTherefore, when the King James scholars used the word "believeth" in John 3:16 as follows: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (houtos), the original Greek word not perish, but have eternal life. This refers to the German Theologian, Prof. Dr. Ludwig Diestel (1825-1879), on page 676 [or 429, depending on the edition] and those following [sqq], of Johann Herzog (1805-1882)'s Schaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge (1868), which says: The Johanine writings must be treated separately. We might be tempted to think that there is much Dysfunction can be defined as when something is supposed to work stops working. 6; (a statement due to the Alex. 31) and passes away with all it's pleasures (I John ii. The promises of John 3:14-18 are in no way promises to people who once upon a time believed but eventually moved away without returning. Including photos each week from our outreaches and the weekly review. The statement is to be explained by Christ's words when He bases His rulership of the world on the fact that God alone knows Him. Amen. I second @Joseph 's helpful comment. Applying this rule, John 3:14-18 would read1: John 3:14-18 John 12:44. What About John 3:16 247-259; Zezschwitz, Profangrcitt, u. bibl. We're a little different from other sites that study the Bible. John 3:16 In John 3:16 why the shift to aorist and perfect tense verbs? While more sources may be citied (French Theologian, Prof. Dr. Eduard Reuss (1804-1891) in his work "History of Christian Theology in the Apostolic Church"], most are out of print or only available in French or German. To believe in Jesus means to trust Him, to entrust and commit ourselves to Him, to lay hold, to lean, and to rely upon 7:7-8, Romans 10:13, 1 Tim.2 3-4, 2 Peter 3:9. Lucky I married a Baptist girl and starting stepping outside my box and started seeing how crazy a lot our beliefs are. On the Person of Christ, and 2. In Luke 6-7, What is the Difference Between the Three Greek Words for "Forgive"? Salvation can commence when these two are in agreement: Yes, that which I perceive is that which rightly brings me death. vegan) just to try it, does this inconvenience the caterers and staff? I disagree with that because our words represent who we are. John 3:16, ESV: For God so loved the (Matthew 7:16-17 NKJV), Defining The Fruits of Function and Dysfunction, Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. The most important characteristic of the conception "the world" in the New Testament is that, as a whole, it is subordinate to the recognition of the salvation of Christ and His foundation of the kingdom of God among mankind. Its a great big pointer word. Word I say clarify because our interpretation of the message may not be right when heard the first time. 3 This [kind of praying] is good and acceptable and pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who [a]wishes all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge and recognition of the [divine] truth. So did my wife. tense in Greek. A demonstration using John 3:16 One of the heavenly things made known in John 3:16 is that God has an only Son, which is big news. The theological conception is that the whole world, the entire circle of the interaction of the forces of nature and man's free will, are under the control of God, who directs all this for the salvation and bliss of his children among mankind, so that all experiences of ill also serve God's purpose. John 3:16 (see This passage, as well as those seen in the first chapter of this study, is in the present tense. 10, "Additional Note"].". In this Dr. The Doctrine of The Church: If the previous doctrine was too easy to find because it is so pervasive, this one is hidden or absent. Is there a single-word adjective for "having exceptionally strong moral principles"? Now where do you draw the line on what loving our neighbor actually is without going back to the person that gave the command. For Paul, God the Father is the creator of the world and the goal of the Christian community; Christ is, in salvation, the mediator for the world and the community. (Galatians 5:22 NKJV). 1837); Dsterdieck on 1 Jn. Whoever goes on believing in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.". When seeing that the air Conditioner is broken the man exclaims, "I can't believe that the Air Conditioner is Broken!" Web16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. Jack Kelley published over 9,000 Bible Study resources here from 1999, until the Lord called him home in the fall of 2015. And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die. (Genesis 2:16-17 NKJV). 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Human beings, not the physical earth. I understand what youre saying but that interpretation is not consistent with Johns choice of words, which imply that anyone can make the choice to believe and receive eternal life. Therefore, such passages speak about something that is happening now, about a present, an active, state and not about something that happened once in the past. "Diestel in Herzog xvii. ]; cf. Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers. Sprachgeist, p. 21 sqq. If you preorder a special airline meal (e.g. Like all the best Christian theology, John 3:16s doctrine of God leads inexorably to. If you believe in someone you follow them. , . It is in this sense (at least) that Jesus is begotten of God the same as Christians are. Welcome to Bible Hermeneutics SE and thank you for your contribution. (Exodus 3:14) Therefore, we are to both believe in Jesus as the Son of God, and also in the message He preached which is The Kingdom of God. The Fruit of Function and Dysfunction is not an actual fruit. So when you connect the dots, help us to see how you do it. 21-24). Therefore, both are the same: 1. you believe in Christ, means you do His commandments (John 14:15) and 2. you believe in and understand His commandments, you will realize that they are impossible to be fulfilled without Him working in us, without us drinking His very blood and eating His very flesh, for only thus His life can start dwelling and flourishing in us (John 6:53). When you say John 3:16 proves that the Calvinists arent correct, how do we know it doesnt prove that they are? when he Did any DOS compatibility layers exist for any UNIX-like systems before DOS started to become outmoded? Copyright 2011-2023, Third Millennium Ministries, Inc. All rights reserved. The Present Tense of Believe in John 3:16 Bible.org Blogs WebTo believe in Jesus is not the same as to believe about Him. upon a pole, and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, VERSION, NIV Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica. To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers. So my friend that says Having the exact right believe about the Trinity is not as important as loving our neighbor and ourselves, without blaspheming the Holy Spirit. In fact it is worth mentioning some facts concerning the present tense in Greek. The Doctrine of the Holy Spirit: The only way to find pneumatology in John 3:16 is to dig in your heels and swear that its hidden in the word believe. Doctrinally speaking, I would in fact insist that saving faith is only possible where the Holy Spirit is at work within the believer. our sins, then 17). 8b) of believers only, Joh_1:29; Joh_3:16; Joh_3:17; Joh_6:33; Joh_12:47 1Co_4:9; 2Co_5:19. Its Who is God in John 3:16? WebSuch as in John 3:16: For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should notperishbut have everlasting life. Their whole idea is that God makes people believe, right? I'm 49 years old now and I think I know less about the Trinity now than when I was 4. excommunicated adjective acc-pl-mas they will do verb fut-act-ind 3rd-p pl you 2nd pers pron acc-pl but conjunction it comes verb pres-mi/pDe-ind 3rd-p (Although different from the question I posed, it still seems to me that the way that takes its object is key to the OPs question, as I think mikebabcock was getting at. We've added a "Necessary cookies only" option to the cookie consent popup. WebThey say this: God cant elect certain ones to salvation because John 3:16 says that God so loved the world that gave His Son so that WHOEVER believes in Christ would have eternal life. For to truly circumcise the flesh we trust in the "Word" instead of our own Bodies. Only Son: The Translation of John 3:16 is the Theological Editor at Third Millennium Ministries (Thirdmill). fall short of the glory of God, The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is everlasting life in The Answer outright can sound unbelievable, so a building of concepts is needed to be able to hold the correct interpretation. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. Both contexts (John3:14, 18) surrounding John3:16 limit those who recieve God's salvific love. (I Cor. Think how much we lose when we unconsciously dumb this verse down to How much God loves the world (present tense, emphasizing magnitude) rather than what it wants to show us: Here is how God loved the world! Why is it that in John 3:3 the ESV translates "be born from above" to "is born again"? In transliterated Greek it reads, Houtos gar egapesen ho Theos ton kosmon, hoste ton Huion ton monogene edoken, hina pas ho pisteuon eis auton me apoletai all eche zoen aionion. It is one I enjoy. Reuss, Histoire de la thologie chrtienne au sicle apostolique, ii. for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die. (Genesis 2:17 NKJV). i. p.29 sqq. The one definition most commented upon is "of believers only.". No matter how often I see it, no matter what kind of knuckle-head has stuck it to their bumper, no matter how isolated it is from its context, it always gets me. I've heard anyone who comes to Him and then others still for the Jews. Just taking the most popular of these verses, John 3:16, we learn that "whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life". ' . Why is John 3:16 the most famous verse in the Bible? Dying in sin is yet another thing altogether. Listen to our Bible studies now from your browser. John 18). seems able to use no preposition when it means "believe the message" or "believe what I say" (John 12:38, 4:21, 5:45), so the presence of the (any) preposition is something different. John3:19-21). Heb 1:5 - "For to which of the angels did God ever say, You are my Son, today I have begotten you? John 3:16 - For God So Loved - Bible Hub What is meant by so in John 3:16? etc. To the Questioner's Answer! We usually use statements like: If his word is no good, he's no good or I gave him a piece of my mind (speaking about the words spoken) everytime and don't realize it's this same issue of believe my word = believe me <=> don't believe my word = don't believe me. That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life John 3:15. What Does World Mean in John 3:16? - Ligonier Ministries , , , . (Galatians 5:3 NKJV). The original Greek word for world in John 3:16 is kosmos (). Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is very specific and its definition, by Jesus of Nazareth, is the attribution of devilish energy to the work of the Divine Person of the Spirit. Love always has an object. Its primary meaning isnt so much, but in this way, or thus. The verse doesnt say God loves the world so much that he sent his Son, rather it says Look at this, this right here is the way God loved the world: he sent his Son. God loved like this! A literal translation. Yes you would, because your message represents you. For since by man came death, by Man also came the resurrection of the dead. It means paying the penalty Just like grieving the Holy Spirit makes God our enemy. Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap. livre vii. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top, Not the answer you're looking for? This God is an intervener, a wonder-worker, a healer of his chosen people. Did John the Baptist clearly preach that both faith and works are essential for salvation? iii. John 3:16 Is Jesus His only Son or His only 'begotten' son? Calvinism God the Son who loves God the Father and us so much that He For God so loved the world that He gave His only-begotten Son, so that everyone who believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life, John 3:15-16. Especially when you consider Matthew 3:16-17, where God declares Jesus to be His Son. , , , . One of those mysteries was the Greek word pisteuo in John 3:16. For ( gar) WebThe present tense in Greek. came and paid the Does the word 'believe' in John 3:15-16 mean to believe in Jesus as the Son of God, or to believe in the message of Jesus Bronze Snake). 'For God so loved the world, that He gave His only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish, but have eternal life. Seeing the choice through an example (NASB) John 3:16 Personal updates from Samantha. (Luke 6:46 NKJV), Yet to "Have the Faith" you must know "When to Apply It", Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. TRANSCRIPT. A demonstration using John 3:16. John 3:16 NASB World God is the God of the entire cosmos; God has to do with every creature, and every creature has to do with God, whether they. Can Martian regolith be easily melted with microwaves? If you're scheduled to visit your friend and can't make it, you send them a message of apology or a message with the content of what you plan to deliver if there physically. By Skip Moen, Ph.D. September 7, 2016. ]: , the sum of all iniquities, Jas. Conviction of the truth of anything, belief []; in the N. T. of a conviction or belief respecting man's relationship to God and divine things, generally with the included idea of trust and holy fervor born of faith and conjoined with it. 2983 lambn (from the primitive root, lab-, meaning " actively lay hold of to take or receive," see NAS dictionary) properly, to lay hold by aggressively ( actively) accepting what is available (offered). Recovering from a blunder I made while emailing a professor. He and his wife Susan have two adult children and are members of Grace Evangelical Free Church. 5 times it is used to describe Jesus (John 1:14, 18, 3:16, 18, 1 John 4:9) and is translated unigenitus, only begotten. In English, we often use the word so to communicate various things (dare I say, so many things). And, as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must A man who does not know that he is dying will look upon his salvation with only casual interest but the one who knows that he is dying looks with knowledge. (Galatians 5:22-23 NKJV), For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. Webstudy. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is rejection of the Holy Spirit. Can airtags be tracked from an iMac desktop, with no iPhone? This is consistent with other statements on salvation, such as Matt. The problem is that in the original Greek, the word so () actually means in this way.. Can You Trust Your Lexicon? It does not mean dying or ceasing to exist.