Rahabs story is told in Joshua 2:1-24. My childhood was composed of a simple mother-daughter relationship. Rahabs story is one of my favorites! UK. In the Old Testament, they are seemingly unrelated. As Christians, we will need to spend time in His Word doing the work to learn more about His character. 50+ random facts - fun facts. Rahab is mentioned in both the Old Testament and New Testament, and her story is an example of Gods grace and redemption. One of Rahabs greatest characteristic was that she didnt only think about saving herself, she also had compassion for her fathers household and made plans to save them as well. We wouldnt have had that awesome story of Rahabs faith in the Bible. A shrimp's heart is located in its head. For we have heard how the, dried up the water of the Red Sea for you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to the two kings of the Amorites who, on the other side of the Jordan, Sihon, and Og, whom you utterly destroyed. Why? This was especially important at night when the gates would be closed and only those with the proper credentials would be allowed to enter. What I admire so much about Rahab is that she took the reckless route. These were her people and this was her King. Rahab, or Rachab (wide), a celebrated woman of Jericho who received the spies sent by Joshua to spy out the land, hid them in her house from the pursuit of her countrymen, was saved with all her family when the Israelites sacked the city, and became the wife of Salmon and the ancestress of the Messiah. The fact that Rahab was willing to risk her life to help the Israelites shows that she had faith in their God. First, this story teaches us that God is faithful to His promises. We first meet Rahab in Joshua chapter 2. A woman who risks her own life to save others. Random Fun Facts About Geography 63. I always thought that too! And she did it in a moment. Rahab was a prostitute woman. Rahab leads the soldiers to believe the spies had come and gone. Lets imagine it together. Righteous Rahab was righteous, as evidenced by her later conversion to faith in God. Rahab is praised for her faith in Hebrews 11:31. What made her do that? Rahab was a resident of Jericho, who sheltered two spies whom Joshua had sent to scout out the city. 1. It took a lot of courage to defy a king. Alaska is both the most western and most eastern state in the United States. Answer: True According to Matthew 1:5-6, Rahab was the great-great grandmother of David. But these are barren lands with plants that have adapted to freezing cold winters and harsh soil conditions. The Law of Moses states without ambiguity: 'No Ammonite or Moabite shall be admitted to the assembly of . There is no more touching story of God's glorious grace than the genealogical introduction to the birth of Jesus by faith through the line of Joseph in Matthew chapter 1. The peoples beloved leader Moses is dead and Joshua, the new guy in charge, sends two spies to check out the land of Jericho which is the first barrier between the Israelites and Canaan. In Rahab's day, it was normal for women to be bought and sold for sex (or even marriage). When we read the story of Rahab we assume that she was a Canaanite. If you've never heard of these languages, you aren't alone. His father, Giovanni Santi, was a court painter in Raphael's hometown. There was a time when these descriptions were 100% accurate. These are the words I use to describe the character of Rahab in the Bible. (the head of Lets Talk Bible Study) unless otherwise stated. Copyright 2011-2023 Got Questions Ministries - All Rights Reserved. Run your raceIn Rahab Woman of Jericho, the main character had to resist giving in to the expectation of others, including her family. According to the Bible, the walls of Jericho were destroyed by Joshua and the Israelites when they invaded the city (Joshua 6:1-27). What was the Purpose of the Scarlet Cord? How could it be that Rahab the prostitute became Rahab, the mother of Boaz? In many ways, the gates represented the border between civilization and the wilderness. If you wish to use an image or any other content of this blog, contact connect@lotanner.com prior to using the content. Rahab Villacres was born on Monday, 71 st day / 11 th week of 1996; Rahab (or Rachab) the wife of Salmon, is mentioned in the genealogy in Matthew 1:5. When the Israelites were finally ready to occupy the land which had been promised for more than 400 years, God brought them to the city of Jericho. Rahab. Her documented profession as a prostitute keeps her from being a Sunday School staple like Jonah and the Whale or David and Goliath, but her story draws people back over and over again. Salmon was from the tribe of Judah, which means that Rahab was also technically from that tribe (although she was not born into it). Humble Rahab was humble, as she considered herself unworthy of salvation. The gospel that Jesus, those before Him, and the disciples after Him taught is a gospel of repentance., Read More 6 Examples of True Repentance in the BibleContinue. She let them shrivel and fade and was completely content in that because she knew what was hers going forward; LIFE. History You will want to dive into the story of Gods people to remind you of His awesome power. I hope your BIble study went well! Most of them just skim the surface of Rahabs story. All the content of this blog {including} images are property of Tanner Ministry Outlets, LLC. That's right. 1450. Whats amazing about Rahab is that she didnt let those thoughts keep her from running to God. An invading army was gathered out there the forces of Israel. 7. I was so nervous but this post helped me tremendously! I found the story of Rahab very touching and its boost my faith and trust in God. The first time is mentioned in Joshua 2:4-7 when soldiers came to her door demanding she brings the spies to them. Ruth is not a whore but a Moabite, a member of a despised people. She and her husband became the parents of a boy named Boaz. In James, Rahab is listed as an example of someone who was justified by faith, along with Abraham. Interesting Facts About Ruth Barnes' Bible Charts MEANING: Hebrew meaning "Friendship" or "Association" AUTHOR: Authorship uncertain TIME WRITTEN: Uncertain POSITION IN THE BIBLE: 8th Book in the Bible 8th Book in the Old Testament 3rd of 12 books of History (Joshua - Esther) 58 Books to follow it. Random fun facts are great for breaking the ice, impressing a . Rahabs faith in God engrafted her into a new family. Rahabs name is most likely derived from the Hebrew word (rb), meaning wide It may also be related to the Arabic word (raaba), meaning to be merciful. These include balance, temperature, pain and time as well as internal senses for suffocation, thirst, and fullness. Something tells me she had been waiting for an opportunity like this; a chance to escape the darkness in Canaan and the hurt of her life. And in Hebrews, Rahab is held up as an example of someone who had faith, even though she was not part of the people of Israel. Rahab was an innkeeper who, sadly, found other ways of bringing in revenue. She pleaded for the lives of her family. The word "harlot" is undoubtedly repeated so that you and I will know that whatever we have done God will forgive us if we come to him by faith. Rahab occupies an interesting place in the mind and heart of the modern church. Sometimes we get this idea that to escape from the things that separate us from God we need to slowly wean ourselves off of them. He had sexual relations with his daughter-in-law that produced . She stood around 5' 5" tall Her name means spacious or broad She told them how the citizens of Jericho had been fearful of the Israelites ever since they defeated the Egyptians via the Red Sea miracle (some 40 years prior). In Joshua 2, we are told that Rahab entertained the spies in her house. 9. The location of Rahabs house also made it convenient for her to help the Israelite spies escape from Jericho. By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient. Still, the people of Jericho may have felt as if they could hide behind their walls. When they came back and gave an evil report, He was just in His punishment of them. She had grown up in Jericho (according to the Midrash she had been there for nearly 40 years, possibly more). Do you have the courage to stay the course? Joshua 2:1-24 #AllinAugust pic.twitter.com/QdFkTkkfYX Calvary Baptist (@calvaryrockmart) August 2, 2022, While Rahab is the topic of this message she is the perfect picture of how Gods grace can change a life forever. See, despite her many shortcomings, there is one character of Rahabs that Christian women in a sin-driven world should be eager to adopt: Abandon. Quechua. This could mean that she simply provided them with lodging and food, or it could imply that she engaged in sexual activity with them, . Fun Facts About Space. Woman of Faith Faith is the opposite of fear. The word translated as harlot or prostitute in our English Bibles is the Hebrew word znh (pronounced zaw-naw). Your email address will not be published. Whereas many Bible passages in both the Old and the New Testament indicate that lying is sinful, 1 critics of the inspiration of the Bible contend that the biblical teaching on this subject is contradictory. This surprises a lot of people because Rahabs life wasnt a pretty one, but it certainly belongs. Salmon begot Boaz by Rahab, Boaz begot Obed by Ruth, Obed begot Jesse, (Matthew 1:5 NKJV). (We'll wait while you go get that globe.) She trusted that God would see beyond what everyone else saw and choose to save her over all the people in Jericho. Its widely believed that she was sold as a child and like most people in those situations, couldnt find a way out. Rahab was afraid of Hebrew God.women are very intelligent.first God is great he never considered her corector.he used her in his plan.praise God. 32 Interesting Facts About Noah and His Ark Andrew Krehbiel 6 MinutesRead Updated: December 12, 2022 Noah had three sons: Shem, Ham and Japheth. The prophet Ezekiel even saw a vision of the glory of God entering through the city gate (Ezekiel 44:2). Image credits: Adam Brill. Interestingly, Boaz went on to marry Ruth, another woman who was not originally from the tribe of Judah. In Psalm 87:4 Rahab is the name of a city; also in Psalm 89:10 and in Isaiah 51:9. Rahabs story is a picture of Gods plan of redemption, available to anyone who will believe Him by faith. A lot of the women featured in the Bible are walk-on characters who werent even given a name let alone enough screen time for us to really know anything about them. Whenever the Army of Israel entered Canaan, Rahab acted. 2. When playing with female puppies, male puppies will often let them win, even if they have a physical advantage. pic.twitter.com/X8oPHr9usC. This story highlights Rahabs faith, as she endangered her own life to help the Israelites. 2. When something is abandoned it is no longer receiving the nurture it needs to grow. Part of me wonders how long she had been questioning the legitimacy of the idols and false gods her people worshiped; of which there were many. Instead, they had to wait for God to give them victory. Each of us has to run the race set before us if we are going to accomplish what God has given us to do. Faith requires a belief in God and that God exists. Thats what I intend to deliver and hope youll find in this Rahab Bible study. While I dont support this viewpoint, it was fascinating to get a glimpse of what life may have been like for Rahab, not only as she lived behind the walls of Jericho, but later when she was integrated into the Israelites camp. Actually, lets rephrase that. Rahab is the first Gentile recorded in the Bible as having converted to Judaism. Rahab became a member of the Israelite community. I imagine that being a harlot in Jericho was a life that came with its own stigma. The quote, Let go and let God instructs us to let go of the things in our lives that are out of our control. She trusted in him for the righteousness she could not produce in her own life: I know that the Lord has given you the land, and that the fear of you has fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land melt away before you. Interested in digging deeper? They had the chance to occupy it once before under the leadership of Moses, but despite Gods promise fear got the best of them. I always assumed she was younger since she goes on to have kids. She exercised it. 66. Interesting facts about cats. She was a prostitute who became a believer and played a key role in the Israelite conquest of Jericho. Learn more by visiting my Disclosures Page. The account of Rahab Reminds us that from the moment we choose to believe and follow God, the impact we have on the world can change. Thank you for catching that! Here's quick list of some fun facts about Rahab Villacres's birthday you must know including detailed age calculation, western astrology, roman numeral, birthstone and birth flower. What is the History of the King of Jericho? 2. The name Rahab is most likely a shortened form of a sentence name rb-N, the god N has opened/widened (the womb?). The program, called Acoustic Kitty, involved surgically implanting batteries, microphones and antennae inside cats. 4. The three wealthiest families in the world have more assets than the combined wealth of the forty-eight poorest nations. 80 Interesting Facts About Life That Will Surprise You Human Body Facts. Rehab became a central strategic figure of incomparable courage as she helped Israel to enter the promised land and subdue her own people. Do not give the enemy ground that Jesus has already taken. Her only other option would be to seek out another people group and cling to them. Had two sons who were wicked, so the Lord put them to death. This is a BIG DEAL. When the Israelites come to Jericho to conquer the city, Rahab hides the Israelite spies and helps them to escape.